You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-22 02:45:27

Valso

Autoupdate certain packages?

Lately there are updates for all haskell packages every 2-3 days which is getting annoying bc the list of packages waiting to update becomes almost endless.
So is there any way I can set all packages starting with the word "haskell" to automatically update whenever an update is available and without explicitly wait for me to run the update process?

#2 2021-11-22 02:54:43

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Autoupdate certain packages?

No.  Partial updates are unsupported by Arch.

#3 2021-11-22 02:55:27

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

There are lots of ways to automate upgrades (pacman is quite scriptable really). However, none of them are officially supported. And what you're specifically asking about in this case would categorically be a partial upgrade. Not a good idea.

[Edit]: Allan is so speedy.

All the best,

-HG

#4 2021-11-22 04:51:19

mpan
Website

Not denying what Allan and HalosGhost said, but could you explain why is the update of those specific packages an issue to you and how do you believe auto-updating that solves it? Perhaps there are options other than doing partial or unattended upgrades — both of which is leading to an inevitable catastrophe on Arch.

If it’s about time required to download them, first check if your mirror isn’t too slow. If it is, find a better one using the mirrorlist generator or community/reflector.⁽¹⁾ Consider enabling parallel downloads. If it’s not about poorly selected mirror, you may use the checkupdates tool from community/pacman-contrib to download packages at any time (the -d switch). Merely downloading packages to your cache is not modifying your system, so it’s ok to run it unattended. However, be nice on mirrors and do not download packages pointlessly: let the frequency of unattended updates be similar to what you normally do.
____
⁽¹⁾ With my view being that you should not filter by country, unless you have clear indication there are serious latency problems or for political/financialreasons.

Last edited by mpan (2021-11-22 04:51:35)

Sometimes I seem a bit harsh — don’t get offended too easily!

#5 2021-11-22 07:59:44

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

If the issue is download time because you have a slow connection then there are solutions to automatically download packages to your local cache at some fixed interval without installing them.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#6 2021-11-22 13:27:39

Valso

No, no, speed is not an issue! I have a fiber optics connection and download with 30 to 36 MB/second, so that's not it.
The thing is that I use pamac-classic only for displaying of the waiting packages (I do the update through terminal). But these haskell packages are always updated all of them, which means about a 100 packages. Since pamac displays them in alphabetic order, that makes it harder to see the more important updates, such as kernel, nvidia, systemd, firefox, etc.
I hadn't seen a haskell update for over 2 years and now suddenly there's an update every 2 days, which, as I said, is becoming annoying. Ofc I could freeze them, so that they never update but not knowing what these packages do, I figure it would be better to let them update, on their own if possible.

#7 2021-11-22 13:41:14

mpan
Website

There are no “more important” updates. This is not how packaging in Arch Linux works. One does not cherry-pick packages to update: you must update all packages or you are ending with a partial upgrade. In rare, exceptional cases it may be necessary to temporarily postpone an update of single packages, but that’s it. Therefore there is no problem: you are experiencing trouble, because you are doing a thing you should never do in the first place.

Sometimes I seem a bit harsh — don’t get offended too easily!

#8 2021-11-22 13:49:23

icar

If you don't like to have such a big list of Haskell packages, you can check which packages require Haskell (usually pandoc) and change to the statically built package as alternative (for example, pandoc-bin)

#9 2021-11-22 13:49:43

Scimmia
Fellow

Valso wrote:

I hadn't seen a haskell update for over 2 years and now suddenly there's an update every 2 days, which, as I said, is becoming annoying. Ofc I could freeze them, so that they never update but not knowing what these packages do, I figure it would be better to let them update, on their own if possible.

Sounds like you didn't have anything installed that used Haskell before. This is normal for Haskell, it has no stable ABI, so when one thing is updated, everything in the entire tree that uses it has to be rebuilt. Simple solution is to uninstall whatever it is you installed that uses it.

#10 2021-11-22 14:45:36

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

So the problem is just that the Haskell packages are cluttering the list of available upgrades? If pamac-classic doesn't support display filters then use something else. If you install pacman-contrib, you can easily filter out haskell packages with

checkupdates | grep -v haskell
Scimmia wrote:

Sounds like you didn't have anything installed that used Haskell before. This is normal for Haskell, it has no stable ABI, so when one thing is updated, everything in the entire tree that uses it has to be rebuilt. Simple solution is to uninstall whatever it is you installed that uses it.

Haskell packages have always been updated together, but the frequency does seem to have increased recently.

Last edited by Xyne (2021-11-22 14:50:06)

#11 2021-11-23 02:26:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

mpan wrote:

There are no “more important” updates. This is not how packaging in Arch Linux works. One does not cherry-pick packages to update: you must update all packages or you are ending with a partial upgrade.

I would contend that there ARE 'more important' updates, in terms of updates that you should pay a bit more attention to. If I know this update is going to include a new kernel then I would probably put it off till the end of the workday at least. All of which is tangential to cherry-picking (which is a recipe for many many further problems).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#12 2021-11-23 07:35:46

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

ngoonee wrote:

If I know this update is going to include a new kernel then I would probably put it off till the end of the workday at least.

You don't like playing the high-stakes, low-reward game of Pacman roulette? Are your really even living if you don't pacman -Syu 2 hours before an important deadline?

#13 2021-11-25 00:36:34

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Xyne wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

If I know this update is going to include a new kernel then I would probably put it off till the end of the workday at least.

You don't like playing the high-stakes, low-reward game of Pacman roulette? Are your really even living if you don't pacman -Syu 2 hours before an important deadline?

To be fair, I've never had any problems which require more than 2 hours to solve, so that's not risky behaviour =p

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer