You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-22 18:54:21

archisman

Evince got added as a dependency of xdg-desktop-portal-gnome

In a recent update (2021-11-09) xdg-desktop-portal-gnome got evince (pdf reader) as a dependency.

In my opinion, a desktop integration portal for sandboxed apps should not depend on a specific pdf reader. Also, the corresponding -git package in the  AUR does not list `evince` as a dependency.

I believe that this dependency might have been mistakenly added. Can someone confirm whether this dependency is really needed? If not, should I create a bug report so that it would be removed?

Last edited by archisman (2021-11-22 18:57:55)

#2 2021-11-22 19:46:12

seth

Re: Evince got added as a dependency of xdg-desktop-portal-gnome

The hstory of the package and upstream suggests it was only just added and the initial and only PGKBUILD commit contains the evince reference?
Do you confuse it w/ xdg-desktop-portal-gtk that has evince as optional dependency?

#3 2021-11-22 22:36:44

archisman

seth wrote:

The hstory of the package and upstream suggests it was only just added and the initial and only PGKBUILD commit contains the evince reference?
Do you confuse it w/ xdg-desktop-portal-gtk that has evince as optional dependency?

I guess I made a mistake. This is a new package, and not an update.

When one tries to install flatpak (with xdg-desktop-portal-gnome as a provider for xdg-desktop-portal-impl), evince is installed as a dependency. However, one should not need evince for flatpak. Since xdg-desktop-portal-gnome-git in the AUR does not have evince as a dependency, there might have been a mistake during packaging (evince could be an optional dependency for xdg-desktop-portal-gnome, but I feel that it should not be a hard dependency (because evince is not directly related to sandboxed technologies)).

Last edited by archisman (2021-11-23 05:13:50)

#4 2021-11-23 07:17:22

seth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RyYrs5tu60

You can file a bug against the package (the forum is the wrong place for those things) bug the bug could likewise be in the AUR package.
I use neither gnome nor flatschpak, but it seems like the latter would like some pdf reader and it's conceivable why an explicit gnome-specific implementation might directly invoke the gnome-specific pdf reader.

Board footer