You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-23 08:43:48

phollox

[SOLVED] I did a sudo pip install packagename. How to fix it?

Hello,

I was trying to check the behaviour of a plugin for spyder IDE, the one that allows jupyter notebooks from the GUI. I tried to build it from git but it didn't worked. The version on AUR was last updated in 2018. I edited the PKGBUILD to put updated code and version number but it didn't work either. So, the last resort, I executed what their website said. The dreaded sudo pip install

I've done it in the past. I always though it was modifying my main python install. I now know that it has the power to writing as root in my $HOME.

In any case, nothing seems terribly broken. But pip downgraded a bunch of packages, I believe related to the spyder GUI, but not sure. There are no log files of the install/downgrade operation

What would be the recommended course of action to fix the conflict? Arch reports it has spyder IDE version 5, but pip installed version 4

Any way to compare the pacman versions with pip versions? And in case of conflicts, how to fix it?

I'm thinking of a nuclear option. Remove the whole python installation (with pip?) and reinstall everything

Thanks

Last edited by phollox (2021-11-23 10:38:07)

I divide by zero, multiple times per day. Also, I don't believe in tipping
Arch + i3wm (still learning)

#2 2021-11-23 10:36:56

phollox

Re: [SOLVED] I did a sudo pip install packagename. How to fix it?

I removed the plugin using `pip uninstall spyder-notebook`
Then I just removed `spyder` and its dependencies using `pacman -Rsc spyder`, and then reinstalled it. It seems to be working fine, more or less

I divide by zero, multiple times per day. Also, I don't believe in tipping
Arch + i3wm (still learning)

#3 2021-11-24 04:57:28

cirrus
Website

Re: [SOLVED] I did a sudo pip install packagename. How to fix it?

consider using virtualenv when using pip, that way it wont conflict with pacman/system files/libs, FWIW pacman -Rns wont remove packages installed via pip.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Python … nvironment

Board footer