You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-23 07:01:43

darenw
Website

Installing cmark which isn't installed but already exists

I want to use pacman to install cmark (maybe also the python bindings and related packages) but it seems to be already installed, even though it hasn't been installed. Quantum logic. 

If I ask pacman  'pacman -Qs cmark' it comes up with nothing.  'pacman -S cmark' leads to a complaint about /usr/bin/cmark exists.

If I look in /usr/bin, there's cmark.  I can run it, convert an *.md file to *.html and view it just fine.

I'm guessing cmark got in as a side effect of installing something outside the Arch system.  Doesn't pacman have an option to say "never mind any existing files, install this package anyway, and feel free to clobber whatever needs to be clobbered"?  (Though it might be wise to see a list of what might be clobbered before actually doing so.)

Why do I want cmark?  Earlier today I installed formiko, a quick easy viewer for .md files. It can do its job without cmark, using another MD parser, but cmark works a lot better. I know from the Ubuntu machine in the other room, on which I also installed formiko earlier today.  On this Arch machine, the option to choose cmark is grayed out.

The odd thing is, if cmark already exists in /usr/bin, and formiko finds it and uses it just fine on the Ubuntu machine, why does formiko not see the cmark on this Arch machine, which also has /usr/bin/cmark?  I figure some cmark related file is missing, and re-installing (or first-time installing it, as pacman would have it) cmark will fix that. But that's a guess.

Last edited by darenw (2021-11-23 07:13:03)

Artist/Physicist, Herder of Pixels, Photons and Electrons

#2 2021-11-23 07:16:44

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Installing cmark which isn't installed but already exists

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2021-11-23 08:58:23

darenw
Website

Okay, that solves the problem of installing cmark.  I see files in /usr/lib that weren't there before. Life is good.

Unfortunately, formiko still grays out the option of choosing it.  So, off to the land of formiko to find a Q&A forum...

#4 2021-11-23 09:18:04

darenw
Website

Puzzling... on the Ubuntu machine, formiko runs fine, no options grayed out, does common mark for .md files.  But, according to Synaptic, cmark is not installed. I've been barking up the wrong tree!

Board footer