You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-25 10:04:27

kurt

[Solved] Discover - no application backends found

Thought I would have a look at discover but get the above error. Running plasma-discover --listbackends from the terminal returns

plasma-discover --listbackends
Available backends:
* packagekit-backend
* fwupd-backend
* flatpak-backend
* kns-backend

Is there something else I need to install?

Last edited by kurt (2019-02-26 10:34:08)

#2 2019-02-25 21:36:40

piedro

Re: [Solved] Discover - no application backends found

On my system this is exactly the same issue.

I am using Octopi right now.

#3 2019-02-26 08:26:35

V1del
Forum Moderator

Did you check and install the relevant opt depends? I'm not on my arch and not sure if plasma-discover simply lists what's compiled in with that command as opposed to what's actually installed

#4 2019-02-26 08:35:55

kurt

V1del wrote:

Did you check and install the relevant opt depends? I'm not on my arch and not sure if plasma-discover simply lists what's compiled in with that command as opposed to what's actually installed

I didn't manually install discover it came with my kde install. I tried a reinstall and there were no opt depends

#5 2019-02-26 08:39:29

kurt

kurt wrote:
V1del wrote:

I didn't manually install discover it came with my kde install. I tried a reinstall and there were no opt depends

Ahhhhh. Apologies I see what you mean now. The plasma-discover command just list what package backends I could use. I installed packagekit and it now works. Thanks

Just out of interest which ones should I have installed. All?

#6 2019-02-26 09:06:41

V1del
Forum Moderator

For normal Arch package support just packagekit-qt5 is needed, the others are for relevant other uses: flatpak for flatpak support, fwupd for firmware updates KNS for KDE's own new stuff plugins/addons

Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED] by editing the title in your first post.

#7 2021-09-13 15:33:01

Wilson Phillips

I hate digging up dead threads, but I just did a fresh minimal install of KDE and find that Discover still doesn't have packagekit-qt5 listed as a dependency. Being a relative noob, how does one go about sending a message to the package maintainer to get this added? I would like to add that I have found several of these issues on my fresh load. A package should list all the dependencies and should just work.

Also, thanks for this info. It fixed my problem. big_smile

Guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack, or children under 5.

#8 2021-09-13 16:24:48

arojas
Developer

Wilson Phillips wrote:

I hate digging up dead threads, but I just did a fresh minimal install of KDE and find that Discover still doesn't have packagekit-qt5 listed as a dependency. Being a relative noob, how does one go about sending a message to the package maintainer to get this added? I would like to add that I have found several of these issues on my fresh load. A package should list all the dependencies and should just work.

No: YOU should read the optional dependencies of the packages you install, which pacman prints for you.

#9 2021-11-27 01:11:55

Thinking

arojas wrote:
Wilson Phillips wrote:

No: YOU should read the optional dependencies of the packages you install, which pacman prints for you.

I am not sure what/if there are Arch Linux policies on this but I would argue something should be done about this issue. I understand that packagekit technically isn't required to use Discover, but it's definitely confusing when it specifically says on the first page you see when opening the application to "Please report this error to your distribution".

Ideally it would say something along the lines of "packagekit-qt5 is required for this functionality" or just "a required package is missing".

Last edited by Thinking (2021-11-27 01:13:51)

Board footer