You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-27 15:07:36

TheOldFellow
Website

Kernel for 'real time'.

I vaguely remember from back in the midst of time (I started computing in 1968) that there were options in the kernel to make real-time applications run smoother.  Something to do with prioritising interruptions, perhaps.
I am trying to optimise a system to run SecondLife, and I get interruptions while the kernel is doing other things when the simulation just hangs for maybe half a second - far too long for realism.
The system is a Ryzen 2700X with nVidia1070ti gpu, and should handle the load easily, and it does under another OS.  There is the possibility that something in the networking is pre-empting too.
Can anyone point me at a either a better Kernel than the straight 'Linux', or maybe discussions of these matters elsewhere?  I apologise if this is the wrong sub-forum.
Thanks.

Last edited by TheOldFellow (2021-11-27 15:08:53)

#2 2021-11-27 15:40:56

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Kernel for 'real time'.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2021-11-27 16:36:18

Maniaxx

Maybe the default kernel has sufficient options for your needs already.

Using the threadirqs kernel parameter
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Profes … figuration

Installing the package realtime-privileges and adding the user to the realtime group, provides reasonable default values (e.g. relevant for Professional audio).
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Realti … management

sys2064

#4 2021-11-27 16:39:13

seth

SecondLIfe looks like a "play bringing out the trash" game - I don't think that it's RT capable or that this is the problem w/ a 2007 game on a 16 core system.

Anything suspicious in the journal, matching those lags (GPU module crashes/resets, network IO drops/lags, …)?
Also, do you play this via wine? There seem to be a bunch of open source clients for this in the AUR.
And your desktop environment might matter (notably compositors and or IO heavy background tasks like file trackers)

Board footer