You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-27 17:21:28

wsbi

[SOLVED] Proton crashes games

Hi I am new to Arch Linux and the issue is I can't run non-native games and natives games with Proton game just starts and closes how can I fix this issue?

Last edited by wsbi (2021-12-01 23:28:24)

#2 2021-11-27 17:40:54

leonavis

Re: [SOLVED] Proton crashes games

That's not quite enough information to give you anything back.

I guess you're using Steam. Are you using native or runtime? You're saying

I can't run non-native games and natives games with Proton

That doesn't make any sense, since Proton is a compatibility layer for Microsoft Windows games. So "natives games" shouldn't even require Proton. Do you mean that you cannot run games with steam?

In general... much, much more information, and maybe someone can help you with your problem, which to me isn't even clear at this point.

#3 2021-11-27 17:56:42

wsbi

leonavis wrote:

That's not quite enough information to give you anything back.

I guess you're using Steam. Are you using native or runtime? You're saying

I can't run non-native games and natives games with Proton

That doesn't make any sense, since Proton is a compatibility layer for Microsoft Windows games. So "natives games" shouldn't even require Proton. Do you mean that you cannot run games with steam?

In general... much, much more information, and maybe someone can help you with your problem, which to me isn't even clear at this point.

I installed Steam with pacman so I believe its native for example I can play Factorio and Bioshock Infinite because they have native linux support I have a AMD GPU and I use amdgpu driver instead of radeon(games don't work with this one) I installed ProtonGE and wine with  https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/how-to-g … ency-hell/ I was convinced that I could finally play windows native games on linux on steam with proton but they somehow don't launch and I use linux-lts kernel sorry for the lack of information it's was totally my fault

#4 2021-11-27 18:02:47

leonavis

That link has nothing to do with the problem that might be at hand here. You don't need wine for Proton to work.

Apparantly you have installed steam-runtime, not steam-runtime-native. That's fine and well. AMDGPU is used by default, radeon is only for older cards not supported by the amdgpu-driver. I guess what you mean is xf86-video-amdgpu, but that's beside the point anyhow.

All you need to do to get Windows-support on Steam with Proton is: Install steam. Open steam, let it update. Go to settings in steam -> Steam play and set a checkmark on "Enable Steam play for all other titles". Leave it on Proton experimental, it's fine. It will ask you to restart, you let it do that. Once it's restarted you can install and play almost all Windows-games in your steam-library. That's all the magic. No need for complicated hacks.

Last edited by leonavis (2021-11-27 18:05:30)

#5 2021-11-30 16:05:35

wsbi

leonavis wrote:

That link has nothing to do with the problem that might be at hand here. You don't need wine for Proton to work.

Apparantly you have installed steam-runtime, not steam-runtime-native. That's fine and well. AMDGPU is used by default, radeon is only for older cards not supported by the amdgpu-driver. I guess what you mean is xf86-video-amdgpu, but that's beside the point anyhow.

All you need to do to get Windows-support on Steam with Proton is: Install steam. Open steam, let it update. Go to settings in steam -> Steam play and set a checkmark on "Enable Steam play for all other titles". Leave it on Proton experimental, it's fine. It will ask you to restart, you let it do that. Once it's restarted you can install and play almost all Windows-games in your steam-library. That's all the magic. No need for complicated hacks.

Proton Experimental seems to be working in my case it is the only version of Proton that seems to work for me thank you for your time chief.

Games I tested:

Playing Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines on Arch is somewhat tricky you need to install the unofficial patch with its own .exe file with wine the thing is you can't play it with Proton because it has it's own launcher for linux that only can use wine I couldn't run it with wine in my MX Linux so that was the time to switch to Arch for me I believe after installing the dependencies in the link I posted it works now but I am having some performance issues in every game I played but I have a shitty system anyways.

BioShock Infinite has native linux support but I found the Proton Experimental experience more smooth it just works

Factorio also has linux native support both Proton version and native version works 60 FPS fix on my system

Little tweaks I did to enhance performence:

- Lowering resolution and graphic settings
- Switching from the kernel module radeon to amdgpu(+15 FPS on average)
- Switching to linux-zen kernel(+5 FPS on average and slight stability boost)

Last edited by wsbi (2021-12-01 02:33:13)

#6 2021-12-01 17:28:16

leonavis

No problem. Remember to put "[SOLVED]" in the title.

On a personal note, I still have some (quite a few) Windows-games in my Steam and Gog-libraries, but I decided against buying games that do not support Linux by default in the future. First, I'm tired of trying to get that shit to run and wasting lots of time with that (though it has gotten a lot better, I remember ~10 years ago I sometimes spent days), second, I find it dumb to give people my money that don't care about Linux-users. If the publishers don't care about us, they don't deserve my money. I know, they'll cry hot tears about that...

Playing Divinity: Original Sin right now. First part was actually ported to Linux, and it works quite well. Also wanted to replay Cyberpunk, but for some reason it doesn't work no more (via GOG+Lutris), though it did work few months back. Well, whatever. I'm really not engaged enough to make it work again. Got work to do anyhow...

Board footer