You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-27 21:13:29

Kingmunch

having amd gpu performance issues on arch

GPU: Rx 560 4gb

DE: KDE PLASMA

Tell me if you need anything else

Hi, I'm using arch linux, built from the official iso. I installed the xf86-video-amdgpu driver and xorg which also installs mesa. For this post ill use Overwatch as an example even though i have noticed similar results on other games like Minecraft. On arch, I get about 100ish fps going as low as 60-70 on overwatch. On Ubuntu (using oibaf open source mesa) I get above 130-140 at all times with no dips what so ever. I'm currently testing out Debian but it's not looking good so far. I want to assume I'm doing something wrong like maybe there's a package I haven't installed yet but I don't know. And yes dxvk is up and running. I have also tried to install the mesa-git from the aur which changed nothing and this is consistent across multiple DE's. I really wanna use arch it feels really nice.

Thanks for any help.

Tried:

mesa-git.
compiling mesa, kept failing and gave up but I will try again.
reinstalling arch.
reinstalling dxvk, mesa, wine
using different wine builds (proton GE, winetkg)

#2 2021-11-28 16:37:37

Sinistar

Re: having amd gpu performance issues on arch

mesa-git now requires libdrm 2.4.109-1, still in Testing, to build.

#3 2021-11-28 17:36:05

Kingmunch

oh ok, I didn't know do you have any idea why I might be having performance issues?

#4 2021-11-30 18:34:03

Stewart Little

Kingmunch wrote:

oh ok, I didn't know do you have any idea why I might be having performance issues?

If I'm right that graphics card should work with radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 could you in the kernel parameters in /etc/default/grub add in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="loglevel=3 radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1"

Also don't forget in mkinitcpio under Modules to add radeon and amdgpu to it and then issue mkinitcpio -p linux

The /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file should have a MODULES=(radeon amdgpu) section at the beginning of the page add those two to it and then issue the command to do mkinitcpio -p linux.

The OpenGL should technically then use 4.6 apparently the wiki states that the config works for your card so if its been properly tested then this should work. Most software's and games now require OpenGL 4.6 to be enabled rather than using standard 3.x once implemented those if you have steam check the system information section under the graphics card section to see if its using that OpenGL 4.6 and KDE should technically see a performance improvement though its worth a try if you haven't done so already.

Note: Also install vulkan-radeon lib32-vulkan-radeon and opencl-mesa and lib32-opencl-mesa these may be needed also.

Last edited by Stewart Little (2021-11-30 18:38:05)

“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
“It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” -J. K Rowling
-----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2021-12-03 15:53:25

Kingmunch

Thanks, this helped a lot, might I ask where you got this information? Maybe you have more tips like these?

#6 2021-12-03 15:55:51

V1del
Forum Moderator

This information is mentioned in https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AMDGPU … K)_support you can identify the need for that by checking dmesg and noticing that both amdgpu and radeon are loaded with the latter taking precedence by default.

Last edited by V1del (2021-12-03 15:58:06)

Board footer