You are not logged in.

#201 2021-09-09 03:31:08

cloverskull

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Yep, daily driver here. Though I do have a Windows 10 vmware image for any compatibility issues I may run into (strictly for school and iTunes, hehe).

I don't game much aside from ScummVM stuff, which runs fine natively, so no big deal there.

#202 2021-09-12 17:53:13

jbonez50

Everyday

#203 2021-10-10 22:06:06

kjell

Daily driver on, everything i run really (except PIs..manjaro arm).

#204 2021-10-13 12:38:16

medicineman2500

Abso-bloody-lutely. I've tried lots of other desktops, always come home to my beloved Arch and my fellow rats what doth infest this here forum.

It's always weird talking about it now coz "I run Arch" has become such a meme so I just lean into it haha

#205 2021-10-13 14:05:32

Awebb

Mmmmhhh mhmm, yeah yeah
Daily driver
You've been down too long in the update queue
Oh what's becoming of me
Ride the timer
You can see his logs but you know he's clean
Oh don't you see what I mean
Gotta get away
Daily driver
Shiny daemons
Like the output of cat in the black and blue
Something is coming for you
Look out
Race for the mount point
You can hide in /run 'till you see the light
Oh we will pray it's all right
Gotta get away, get away
Between the GUI lies
There's a truth that's hard as steel
The version never dies
Groups's a never ending wheel
Daily driver
You're the star of the masquerade
No need to look so afraid
Jump, jump
Jump on the timer
You can probe his core but you know he's mean
Some logs can never be seen, yeah
Daily driver
You've been down too long in the update queue
Oh what's becoming of me
No, no
Ride the timer
You can see his logs but you know he's clean
Oh don't you see what I mean
Gotta get away, get away
Gotta get away, get away
Daily driver, soul survivor
You' re the one whose clean
Daily driver, Daily driver
Never come to knew, coming after you
Daily driver
Daily driver, yeah
Alright, get away, get away, get away
Daily driver, Daily driver, Daily driver mmhhmmm

Last edited by Awebb (2021-10-13 14:09:23)

#206 2021-11-13 07:14:48

m6x

Yeah, daily driving Arch on desktop & notebook for both personal and work stuff. I think Arch is the best desktop distro for experienced Linux users.
On my servers I use Debian stable.

int pi = 3;

#207 2021-11-29 08:31:13

TDodd

Yes I use Arch on my 6 year old laptop which is my only production machine. 0 problems.

Last edited by TDodd (2021-11-29 08:31:53)

#208 2022-11-03 16:11:19

Busyvar

Yes i use Arch everyday, but in a VM (on W10).
I am a consultant in electric vehicle charging industry, this workspace is dedicated to web frontend development, i use it also to deploy on testing devices.
This was a personal VM i made because the default installed by the office was a really slow and outdated version of LMDE.

#209 2022-12-06 15:42:56

Snarll

Sorry if i missed something regarding whats count's as Arch, i'm currently using EndeavourOS with Vanilla Gnome as a daily driver on my Alienware PC and 2012 Macbook Pro, and all working great and i have no plans to change any time soon. I also used to run pure Arch on my Alienware for awhile with Vanilla Gnome and it was basically the Same to my experience as the performance/reliability with EndeavourOS, so no problems either way.

Last edited by Snarll (2022-12-06 15:43:27)

Cheers; Snarl
another guy from Canada

#210 2022-12-26 23:56:25

Kanehekili

Using Arch Linux on a daily base, life is possible without Arch Linux, but doesn't make sense. big_smile, My old Thinkpad R61i (was accepted for the space shuttle) runs the distro for about 10 years now). Respect for the maintainers....

Last edited by Kanehekili (2022-12-27 00:00:06)

#211 2023-02-05 05:52:56

shimokitakohi

I use Arch on a laptop I use for school. I wish I could use Arch on my desktop, but I have an NVIDIA graphics card.

#212 2023-02-05 10:20:25

Daerandin
Website

shimokitakohi wrote:

I use Arch on a laptop I use for school. I wish I could use Arch on my desktop, but I have an NVIDIA graphics card.

I don't see why that is a problem. My two previous computers had NVIDIA GPUs, and I was using Arch on them all. The only reason I switched to AMD was for Sway.

#213 2023-02-05 19:49:58

shimokitakohi

Daerandin wrote:
shimokitakohi wrote:

I don't see why that is a problem. My two previous computers had NVIDIA GPUs, and I was using Arch on them all. The only reason I switched to AMD was for Sway.

I heard the drivers kind of suck. Maybe what I know is outdated. I'll reconsider lol.

#214 2023-02-05 20:16:50

Daerandin
Website

shimokitakohi wrote:

I heard the drivers kind of suck. Maybe what I know is outdated. I'll reconsider lol.

I haven't been on NVIDIA for almost three years now, but my experience with their proprietary drivers was only good. Things could obviously have changed since then, but I would expect the wiki page to provide good information.

#215 2023-02-05 22:42:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Daerandin, if you last used nvidia three years ago, I suspect you were *not* using it under wayland as for quite a while there were very few compositors that could run on nvidia at all (or really just one).  That has changed though (end of 2021 I believe) and now all compositors can be expected to run on recent nvidia proprietary drivers.

Last edited by Trilby (2023-02-05 22:43:55)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#216 2023-02-05 22:43:59

sothis6881

Happily using Arch as a daily driver on my business laptop and my personal desktop.

shimokitakohi wrote:
Daerandin wrote:
shimokitakohi wrote:

Depends a bit on how new/old your card is, so your mileage may vary.

#217 2023-02-06 02:30:19

shimokitakohi

sothis6881 wrote:

Happily using Arch as a daily driver on my business laptop and my personal desktop.

shimokitakohi wrote:
Daerandin wrote:

Depends a bit on how new/old your card is, so your mileage may vary.

I switched a few hours ago. I'm using a RTX 2080 Super with the proprietary drivers and it works. Thank you all smile

#218 2023-02-13 21:23:57

IrreleventIdiot

Been daily driving arch for a while now on my Desktop. Works great.

Yes, I know I spelt "Irrelevant" wrong.

#219 2023-02-28 09:53:29

arrobbe

judd1 wrote:

Arch is my daily driver and the Wiki is my Bible (although sometimes I find it difficult to understand my age ...)

I feel similar, although (comparatively) counting myself to the younger generations.
The Wiki is extensive and probably offers everything needed, but is somewhat difficult in two senses:

First is a good, learning sense of difficult. It does not give you a chain of commands / scripts to execute for everything, but instead relies on simple language like "Edit the configuration file and reload the config" and let's the user figure out what that means (providing further links to the tools, so it's very much possible).

On other occasions you encounter a rabbit hole of links leading to no comprehensive result. Trying to set up secure boot resulted in me having 30-40 tabs open with no guidance whatsoever until I finally gave up (trying again some other time yielded the exact same results). I assess here the Wiki makes it too easy for itself with extensive use of hyperlinking all related things everywhere. A different structure, i.e. overview articles linking to detail articles (that are detailed enough not to open 5 other articles each and so on) would help. Or some more flat structure similar to a book.

Sometimes it's also in between. Trying to set a console font was, in my humble opinion, unnecessarily difficult from a user perspective. I had to read tens of pages into font-config on the wiki, the tools inherent man pages, and basically started learning a new language (the font-config scripting language). After having done that, I have to say the language makes sense and also its complexity, but still its maybe a bit to much for users who just want to set one default font.
Also statements like <prefer><family>Iosevka:bold</family></prefer> (and other variations of specifying Bold I tried) don't work for some reasons and still give the regular font, although the syntax is correct according to man pages. Too often you get to that point with wiki and even the man pages exhausted, and your problem still persisting. I think Use-cases would help a lot. In very few cases, some man-pages provide examples for typical usage of the command at the end. I found that the most useful part on man-pages, lighting up my day should they exist.

#220 2023-03-23 00:57:01

Texbrew

#1 Archlinux every day. Hardware installed on two old PCs and three old laptops.
     The laptop I reach for most days runs Archlinux + XFCE4 desktop.

#2 MX-21 Linux used occasionally, hardware installed on three old laptops.

#3 Debian 11 32 bit hardware installed on an ancient, seriously under-powered PC, rarely
     used.

#4 Raspberry Pi with Raspbian on one SD card, Archlinux-ARM on another. Bluetooth issue unresolved on Archlinux-ARM, but that discussion is for another place. Aside from the Pi, all my gear is old. Keeping this menagerie up-to-date is fun.

The Arch wiki and forum are most often the best sources for solving my linux issues.

Kudos to all the volunteers maintaining the wiki and forum.

#221 2023-03-24 08:43:56

d.ALT

Texbrew wrote:

#3 Debian 11 32 bit hardware installed on an ancient, seriously under-powered PC, rarely
     used.

<OT>
I'm dual-booting ArchLinux32 (online) and Debian Sarge⁽*⁾ (offline) on a P4 1,4GHz machine with 512MB of RAM. big_smile

⁽*⁾I forgot everything about the glorious years of SysV and XFree. Tell me what you want, but... I feel so comfortable with systemd nowadays tongue
</OT>

<49,17,III,I>    Fama di loro il mondo esser non lassa;
<50,17,III,I>    misericordia e giustizia li sdegna:
<51,17,III,I>    non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa.

#222 2023-03-26 23:11:26

Texbrew

d.ALT wrote:
Texbrew wrote:

used.

<OT>
I'm dual-booting ArchLinux32 (online) and Debian Sarge⁽*⁾ (offline) on a P4 1,4GHz machine with 512MB of RAM. big_smile

⁽*⁾I forgot everything about the glorious years of SysV and XFree. Tell me what you want, but... I feel so comfortable with systemd nowadays tongue
</OT>

It's been years since I dual-booted anything. For several years I relied on VirtualBox for distro hopping. Then last year I discovered Qemu/KVM, which is in large part already built into the Linux Kernel. Excellent!

As for systemd, I remember some of the controversy when it began to spread among linux distros, and I can say that I have adapted to systemd well enough to get by. MX-21 Linux, which I have hardware installed on some machines do not have systemd. I think SysV, but I'm not sure. I have not had breakages to deal with, but systemd commands error out,

#223 2023-03-26 23:23:35

Irets

I used to daily drive Arch till Feb 18, 2021.
The drive which holds my old install is still inside my computer but doesn't have a power cable connected to it.

I should sometime have a look at my old configs and reminiscence the old times. smile

#224 2023-04-04 02:03:05

Woolie Wool

I've used the same Arch install on my ThinkPad for years, but I don't use that nearly as much as my Ryzen desktop, and I installed Arch on the Ryzen for the first time this weekend and plan to only use Windows 11 for things I actually need it for (certain games, certain game mod tools, Oculus Quest VR, Microsoft Flight Simulator, etc.) and "live" in Arch most of the time. Windows 11 really pushed me over the edge with its bizarre interface "simplifications" and the piling of yet more click-throughs and alternate interfaces to a UI that was already perfectly fine 20 years ago and never really needed changing after XP. It's a chaotic mess of colors, fonts, materials, styles, and usability guidelines and I am taking shelter in the arms of KDE Plasma, which remembered Windows' core conceit that the entire interface should be unified and uniform. KDE is better at being Windows than Windows. My computer runs quieter too.

Wouldn't have done it without archinstall though--running fdisk on a dual boot system with two SSDs and three hard drives + 1 external offers way too many opportunities to trash your Windows filesystems.

#225 2023-04-08 16:18:16

Adolfoj

I am a Backend Engineer and I have been using Arch as my main and only OS since 2020.

I can say that I have never used a distro as reliable as ArchLinux.
It never breaks, it's always fast and updated.

Both the official ArchiLinux Package Repository and the ArchLinux User Package Repository (AUR) are amazing. I almost never encounter the need to build a package from other sources.

Could not love it more!

Board footer