You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-05 19:35:19

08d09

Finding out F2FS compression ratio

Hello, I recently decided to use F2FS with LZ4 compression to store games so I created a new volume with the flags extra_attr, compression, inode_checksum, sb_checksum, lost_found, added compress_algorithm=lz4 to the mount options and used chattr -R +c on the mount point to enable compression for the whole volume. I have verified that compression works by running df, copying a large (compressible) text file to the volume, running df again and subtracting the two outputs. The result was much smaller than the size of the text file shown by ls so I assume transparent compression was working fine.(Correction: I didn't know df reported values in multiples of 1024 so I have no verification that compression is working, df reports a difference of 144kB after copying a 136kB text file that only contains copies of the same word.)

Is there a more convenient way to check the compression ratio of the drive or existing files? The way I mentioned is useless if you haven't run df before copying the file in question. I tried running du --apparent-size -h at the mount point and df -h to compare actual disk usage and the sizes but for some reason du reports a value that is 4GB lower than the output of df.

I still don't know the cause of the difference as I later tried creating a second 12GB f2fs volume just to test things without any features and df was telling me that 5% was used even though the volume was just created.

EDIT: To compare things I copied the text file I mentioned to a ZFS dataset with LZ4 enabled. Using du -h and du --apparent-size -h on the file returned 4.5K and 137K respectively so compression is working as expected on ZFS. I did the same thing in the F2FS volume in question and --apparent-size returns 137K while plain du returns 140K. How is this even possible? Is F2FS's compression so transparent that you can't even verify that it works?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 08d09 (2021-01-05 20:00:31)

#2 2021-01-05 20:14:19

Ropid

Re: Finding out F2FS compression ratio

btrfs is the same: you can't see the compression with 'du', there's no change when adding "--apparent-size". For btrfs there's a program "compsize" that can show the real disk usage. Maybe for f2fs there's also a special program?

#3 2021-01-05 20:21:28

Slithery
Administrator

08d09 wrote:

I still don't know the cause of the difference as I later tried creating a second 12GB f2fs volume just to test things without any features and df was telling me that 5% was used even though the volume was just created.

I expect that F2FS reserves 5% of the filesystem for root use only just like EXT does.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2021-01-05 20:37:11

08d09

Ropid wrote:

btrfs is the same: you can't see the compression with 'du', there's no change when adding "--apparent-size". For btrfs there's a program "compsize" that can show the real disk usage. Maybe for f2fs there's also a special program?

I saw compsize while searching for information too but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a similar tool for F2FS. Search for "f2fs compression" and the most useful thing you'll get is the phoronix article regarding the addition of the feature.

Slithery wrote:

I expect that F2FS reserves 5% of the filesystem for root use only just like EXT does.

I thought of reserved blocks too but there isn't a tune2fs alternative available for F2FS. Fortunately the sysfs entries are somewhat documented so I found these under /sys/fs/f2fs/nvme1n1p2

avg_vblocks              dirty_segments         gc_idle               iostat_enable          min_hot_blocks           ram_thresh
batched_trim_sections    discard_granularity    gc_idle_interval      iostat_period_ms       min_ipu_util             readdir_ra
cp_background_calls      discard_idle_interval  gc_max_sleep_time     ipu_policy             min_seq_blocks           reclaim_segments
cp_foreground_calls      encoding               gc_min_sleep_time     lifetime_write_kbytes  min_ssr_sections         reserved_blocks
cp_interval              extension_list         gc_no_gc_sleep_time   main_blkaddr           mounted_time_sec         umount_discard_timeout
current_reserved_blocks  features               gc_pin_file_thresh    max_small_discards     moved_blocks_background  unusable
data_io_flag             free_segments          gc_urgent             max_victim_search      moved_blocks_foreground
dir_level                gc_background_calls    gc_urgent_sleep_time  migration_granularity  node_io_flag
dirty_nats_ratio         gc_foreground_calls    idle_interval         min_fsync_blocks       ra_nid_pages

reserved_blocks is set to 0 and this is its description in the kernel documentation "This parameter indicates the number of blocks that f2fs reserves internally for root" so I'm not sure whether blocks are reserved for root but it's not like I got another explanation.

I also found a file called /sys/kernel/debug/f2fs/status that contains some relevant information.

Utilization: 14% (18022738 valid blocks)
  - Node: 24239 (Inode: 6589, Other: 17650)
  - Data: 17998499
  - Inline_xattr Inode: 1449
  - Inline_data Inode: 51
  - Inline_dentry Inode: 123
  - Compressed Inode: 1323, Blocks: 177748
  - Orphan/Append/Update Inode: 0, 0, 0

This at least confirms that something is compressed but does anyone know how whether this data can be used to calculate the compression ratio? Also I forgot to specify the mount option 'compress_algorithm=lz4' before copying some files so that might be why if there's a difference between compressed inodes and total inodes.

#5 2021-12-02 17:51:43

bobpaul

I've not found a solution to this, either. Additionally, despite the "Compressed Inode" line from the debug status, I'm not convinced anything is actually compressed. My experience matches this reddit thread, complaining no effects from compression observed.

Per the wiki and the f2fs kernel documentation it looks like setting the `c` attribute on a file should compress the file and setting the `c` attribute on a directory should compress any new files created.

f2fs kernel documentation wrote:

To enable compression on regular inode, there are three ways:
* chattr +c file
* chattr +c dir; touch dir/file
* mount w/ -o compress_extension=ext; touch file.ext

So I went ahead and ran

chattr -R +c

on a bunch of directories that compress really well when I make tar.zst backups, but no change in freespace before/after, so I don't think merely setting the attribute compresses. I also tried making a folder with the `c` attribute set and using `rsync -a` to copy a bunch of files into the new directory and freespace shrunk by the amount expected for no compression.

As a final test, I entered a directory that I've set the `c` attribute on and ran

dd if=/dev/zero of='10GB of zeros' bs=1M count=10240

and my free space decreases by 10GB. :-/

So yeah, idk. looking at `/proc/mounts`, I do have `compress_algorithm=zstd,compress_log_size=2,compress_mode=fs` in my mount options.

#6 2021-12-03 06:45:15

Ketsui

bobpaul wrote:

I'm not convinced anything is actually compressed.

Probably because f2fs doesn't actually let users utilize any space saved by compression, see:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-f2fs-deve … oogle.com/
In particular:

In this series, we've implemented transparent compression experimentally. It
supports LZO and LZ4, but will add more later as we investigate in the field
more. At this point, the feature doesn't expose compressed space to user
directly in order to guarantee potential data updates later to the space.
Instead, the main goal is to reduce data writes to flash disk as much as
possible, resulting in extending disk life time as well as relaxing IO
congestion. Alternatively, we're also considering to add ioctl() to reclaim
compressed space and show it to user after putting the immutable bit.

Edit: Apparently they added the planned ioctl() already, see the updated kernel doc here:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ … /f2fs.html

Last edited by Ketsui (2021-12-03 06:48:59)

#7 2021-12-03 16:15:11

bobpaul

Ah! Thank you. I had found a couple of forum comments from people who speculated that, but hadn't found an authoritative document. Disappointing that compressed space can only be freed by making the file immutable, but at least it's an option. Performance and reducing flash wear are two of the reasons I wanted to enable compression; I had just hoped to save space, too.

#8 2021-12-04 00:09:54

bobpaul

There's support in f2fs_io (release_cblocks and reserve_cblocks subcommands). This is in a folder that has +c attr set.

$ df -h /
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb7       357G  242G  115G  68% /

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=10GB bs=1M count=10240 status=progress
10712252416 bytes (11 GB, 10 GiB) copied, 25 s, 428 MB/s
10240+0 records in
10240+0 records out
10737418240 bytes (11 GB, 10 GiB) copied, 25.0641 s, 428 MB/s
$ df -h /
/dev/sdb7       357G  252G  105G  71% /

# free the unused reserved blocks
$ f2fs_io release_cblocks 10GB 
$ df -h
/dev/sdb7       357G  244G  113G  69% /

# as advertised, the file is immutable.
$ echo foo >>10GB
bash: echo: write error: Operation not permitted

# Reserving the space, file is writable again, but consumes the full 10GB again
$ f2fs_io reserve_cblocks 10GB 
$ df -h /
/dev/sdb7       357G  252G  105G  71% /
$ echo foo >>10GB
$ tail 10GB 

#9 2022-07-23 07:26:07

guglovich

Nothing has worked for me. Apparently everything still needs to be set up, but I don't know what.

F2FS_IOC_RELEASE_COMPRESS_BLOCKS failed: Operation not supported

#10 2022-08-26 20:29:17

bobpaul

guglovich wrote:

F2FS_IOC_RELEASE_COMPRESS_BLOCKS failed: Operation not supported

Operation not supported when releasing compress blocks indicates the filesystem wasn't formatted with the compression flag (I get a different error when I try it on a file that isn't compressed). You're supposed to be able to use fsck.f2fs to enable flags on existing file systems, but at least for compression I've always had to re-format to enable it. Review the compression section of the f2fs archwiki article

Board footer