You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-06 15:11:43

mystiquewolf

ERROR: The built package (glibc) is the one in the repo right now!

Hello, i’ve got a crash of kwin_wayland and i’m trying to rebuild glibc as one of the packages with missing debug symbols.
I’m trying to create a separate -debug package with just the symbols, install it and see if the build-id will somehow happen to be the same as that of the already installed glibc package, so i can simply retrace the existing dump without having to reproduce it again (don’t know what really happened, just crashed). On the #grc IRC channel i’ve been told that

It’s easy to rebuild the package, but if you are not using the exact same compiler version, same environment, you’ll likely end up with a different result

What i’ve done is i’ve checkouted the PKGBUILD and edited it:

• I’ve changed

options=(!strip staticlibs)

to

options=(strip staticlibs debug)
  • I’ve tried to build the package outside of clean chroot and have got some cryptic “Error 2”.

• I’ve tried to build it in a chroot with this command:

extra-x86_64-build -c

and this time it took more time, but at the end i’ve got this different error:

ERROR: The built package (glibc) is the one in the repo right now!

Could someone help me get the debug symbols correctly installed, please? Or point me in the right direction.

Your device could make a difference. You can help: https://join.worldcommunitygrid.org

#2 2021-12-06 15:22:43

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: ERROR: The built package (glibc) is the one in the repo right now!

The error in the subject is coming from checkpkg, which compares the new package to the old one to alert the maintainer to changes in sonames, files added/removed, etc. It's not something you need to worry about, it would appear that things are fine.

#3 2021-12-06 16:58:58

mystiquewolf

Many thanks! I've found the generated package -debug package and installed it successfully.

However I couldn't check if it actually works as something has cleared all of my coredumps. They don't show up neither in coredumpctl nor in the dump folder. Not sure what was it and whether it had any connection with the compilation or install of the debug package. The crash happened yesterday night and in /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/systemd.conf the contents of /var/lib/systemd/coredump are set  to be deleted 3 days after creation/last access. I've noticed many new entries like the below in coredumpctl:

Mon 2021-12-06 13:37:58 EET  263704 60147 60147 SIGFPE  none     /build/glibc/src/glibc-build/elf/ld.so  n/a

Have you experienced something like this before?

Your device could make a difference. You can help: https://join.worldcommunitygrid.org

#4 2021-12-06 20:22:59

loqs

You could check in the journal to see if the core was too large to be stored.

#5 2021-12-06 20:56:34

mystiquewolf

loqs wrote:

You could check in the journal to see if the core was too large to be stored.

Well it was saved before and was available on disk. I could run coredumpctl debug on it, albeit without symbolicated backtrace.

Board footer