You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-11 12:38:46

btdmaster

Guile 3.0

Hey there,

I know this is (partially) an implicitly forbidden topic but is there any chance for the Guile package to be brought forward to 3.0? I have tried very hard to build guile-git myself but I could not figure out how to enable parallel builds, so could the official guile package be built with a more recent version?

Guile is a great high-performance implementation of Scheme and I would love to have its more recent additions to reach the repos.

#2 2021-12-13 12:46:44

Lone_Wolf

Re: Guile 3.0

Looks like guile-git uses make as build system, and that's easy to parallelize, just make a small edit to /etc/makepkg.conf 

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Makepk … pile_times

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2021-12-13 14:04:51

btdmaster

Hey, I've tried changing #MAKEFLAGS="-j2" into MAKEFLAGS="-j$(nproc)", both in `makepkg -si` and /etc/makepkg.conf and this still only uses one thread. The only thing that worked was editing the PKGBUILD itself. (Perhaps the Makefile ignores MAKEFLAGS?)

#4 2021-12-14 12:21:21

Lone_Wolf

options=('!strip' '!makeflags' 'libtool')

Yep, guile-git overrides makeflags, although the extra/guile package doesn't do that.

Maybe at some point build failed using multiple jobs.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer