You are not logged in.

#1 2003-02-06 22:38:26

beniro

Arch Linux review...help?

I'm working on putting together a review of AL .4 for possible web publication on any site that'll take it.  But, as you may have noticed, I'm a bit of a newbie.

I'm planning on touching on the following things:

Arch's goals
Arch's install
ABS, package optimisations and pacman (maintaining an Arch system)
Running X in Arch
Then strengths, weaknesses
And a sort of verdict (ie, what Arch is best suited for, overall quality)

Now, my question for those here at the bbs:  what have I left out or what do I need to touch on that I may overlook?  Feel free to mention subjects that may be containted within the above headings, because I may not be grasping all the aspects of Arch's awesomeness.

The going may be a bit slow on my review, but I hope to draw a bit more attention Arch's way!

#2 2003-02-07 07:17:16

Blaasvis

Re: Arch Linux review...help?

well it is a nice idea, i got one question for you.
At which site it will be put ?

should it be extremly long or just a review with out going in to the depth?

Freedom is what i love

#3 2003-02-07 11:55:18

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

There are few reviews on topic "Tell a friend about ArchLinux!". It may help you.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=88

Markku

#4 2003-02-07 19:29:54

beniro

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I think it's gonna go up on Distrowatch, because they seem to be booming right now.  I'm not totally decided on that site yet.  It will be fiarly in-depth, but I don't have to go into incredible techy detail...I'm kinda waiting to see how it turns out.  smile

#5 2003-02-08 02:25:01

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

beniro wrote:

I think it's gonna go up on Distrowatch, because they seem to be booming right now.  I'm not totally decided on that site yet.

What I am noticing with Distrowatch, its only holding the first paragraph with a link to the full article (review) wherever you put it up. I suggest you contact Distrowatch once you decide.

Lets hope your review will help Arch Linux to rise higher on Distrowatch list. Maybe not competing Yoper, which became # 1 within two months, but to same level (or above) as CRUX Linux smile.
http://www.distrowatch.com/

Markku

#6 2003-02-08 02:51:54

beniro

Well, distrowatch does have several full reviews on the site.  But you've brought up an interesting point: if I'm whoring myself out for exposure, why don't I post the review on another site, then just send the link to distrowatch's maintainer.  I'll also send th URL to every known Linux site in the universe.  smile

#7 2003-02-08 14:46:38

Arielext
Website

[OT] what's Yoper all about?[/OT]

apt-get install arch

#8 2003-02-08 16:12:52

sarah31
Website

yoper is a joke imho. i know people who have tried it and of those people i know no one who has switched to it nor anyone who actually likes it it is just a novelty right now as it boasts something no other distro has, which i personally think is its weakness.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer