You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-29 20:12:07

geeregman

Python version upgrades break existing venv's

Long time Arch user here, and I like the Arch distro best.  So this is kind of a question/comment   hopefully this is the correct place.

Recently (and I think also in past upgrades), I updated my Arch system and python was updated from v9 to v10.
As a consequence, all my venv's are linked to the new python and when I run a module in an existing venv, as previously done, I get a module not found error.

So it seems I have to pip install all my packages in the v10 environment, which seems a waste, as most of the python packages are unchanged.
Just copying over the site packages from v9 to v10 folders doesn't seem to always work or is poor practice.

I have tried installing python39 from AUR and then tinkering with the linked python files in the venv/bin directory.
This seems to work, but installing the python39 and tinkering is a bit of a pain.....

How do any of you people, who may use venv's often, deal with this?

Thanks,
Greg

#2 2021-12-30 10:57:18

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Python version upgrades break existing venv's

Don't use venv / virtualenv , but it seems you may want to switch to virtualenv .

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Python … n_versions

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer