You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-30 19:44:32

Gaba

[SOLVED] Can`t boot into arch "Failed to start Load Kernel Modules"

Hello everyone after installing from source the caffeine plus for my plasma setup ( https://store.kde.org/p/1212005/), which had worked with not many problems but the program failed to load which wasn`t a big deal. AFTER rebooting the system, I was greeted with the following:

[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules

after a minute it gives few more lines saying the following:

Timed out waiting for device /dev/zram0

then

[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Compressed Swap on /dev/zram0

[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Create swap on /dev/zram0

emergency mode hasn`t kicked in but I can ALT + > to open another tty and mess a lil bit with the system I checked my fstab and it was EMPTY, so I added my root and now it is like this:

<File system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
UUID=96234646-1f6-4d02-8e7d-da2a5cc5605c / ext4 defaults 0 2

apparently the source install i did broke my system but I don`t know how and where exactly, I saw on this post (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=233935) that maybe a library had done it but I don`t get the same emergency mode as that report

Before rebooting the last thing I did was pacman -Syu, on the tty2 after the load kernal modules failure pacman isn`t even working probably because of missing network modules that couldn`t been run:

Pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core.db failed to download
error: retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror,rackspace.com : could not resolver host: mirror.rackspace.com
warning: too many errors from mirror,rackspace.com skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed to synchronize all databases (invalid url for server

Any clues or tips how I can recover the system, thanks in advance!

Last edited by Gaba (2021-12-31 00:41:11)

#2 2021-12-30 20:57:30

seth

Re: [SOLVED] Can`t boot into arch "Failed to start Load Kernel Modules"

Before rebooting the last thing I did was pacman -Syu

You either forgot to mount the /boot partition or are actually booting from the root partition.
Check "uname -a" on the failing boot, it's likely an older kernel.
Boot the arch install iso, arch-chroot into the installed system, make sure to mount the proper boot partition (or don't/umount it if that had been the issue) and reinstall the kernel package. Then reboot.

#3 2021-12-31 00:40:30

Gaba

Uname -a resulted in:

uname -a
Linux hosaka 5.15.11-arch2-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 22 Dec 2021 09:23:54 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I did the arch-chroot from the live USB install and reinstalled all the kernel packages.

I was still getting some problems at boot, which now showed a

[DEPEND] failed to load /boot

so I went and checked that in my system using emergency mode (which now actually showed the prompt) as root, since the kernel was working now i did pacman -Syu (which now worked fine with networking and all) and rebooted but the same prompt for emergency mode appeared so I checked my mount points.

After that I redid the mount points and checked my fstab again which now is:

# Static information about the filesystems.
# See fstab(5) for details.

# <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
UUID=96234646-f1f6-4d02-8e7d-da2a5cc5605c       /       ext4    defaults        0       2
dev/sda2/       /

I`m using MBR so I think I don`t need to make a mount point for /boot correct? Which I was trying to do my fstab before this change was:

# Static information about the filesystems.
# See fstab(5) for details.

# <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
UUID=96234646-f1f6-4d02-8e7d-da2a5cc5605c       /       ext4    defaults        0       2
dev/sda2/       /boot

which was all wrong since my boot partition was actually sda1... I was really desperate!  Anyway i took the /boot and changed it to just / and now everything is working fine again! I booted straight to sddm and all that good stuff.

Thank you so much seth, I`m marking this as solved, I`m so glad that the desktop Is ready for new year`s eve now smile

#4 2021-12-31 07:17:15

seth

"dev/sda2/       /" is hopefully commented (leading "#")?
Cause that line is bogus.
I suggest you post the output of "lsblk -f" so you're not running into new-year suprises.

Board footer