You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-30 21:24:37

Kureteiyu

[SOLVED] Nvidia firefox hardware acceleration glitch

Hello! I'd like to setup hardware acceleration for Firefox on my Arch.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8200 card so I installed its proprietary drivers, nvidia-340xx, and set them up by copying it /usr/share's xorg.conf.d config and running # nvidia-xconfig. Then I installed libva-vdpau-driver for Firefox to be able to use VDPAU with VA-API and I set up correctly the environnement variables.

Everything seems to go well... Firefox runs correctly without crashing, my system does use the right drivers. But when I go to about:support, in compositing, it tells "WebRender (Software)" (and indeed it's very slow). So I went in about:config to set preferences like gfx.webrender.all or layers.acceleration.force-enabled to true.

But when I do so, my whole screen (not only Firefox) glitches and everything crash, I can't even close Firefox or go to a tty, I need to forcefully shutdown the computer.

Video on YouTube

Thanks!

EDIT: it seems to do this also without hardware acceleration, but less often and after a lot more time of usage

Last edited by Kureteiyu (2022-01-04 17:08:56)

#2 2022-01-02 15:53:10

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Nvidia firefox hardware acceleration glitch

This is extremely unlikely to be satisfactorily fixable with that hardware. You  often don't even have the capabilities to decode these videos with this let alone with the buggy libva-vdpau translation layer.

#3 2022-01-04 17:08:03

Kureteiyu

Re: [SOLVED] Nvidia firefox hardware acceleration glitch

That worked fine on Windows 7, that's weird. But you're right, I'm using it without hardware acceleration for now, but if this is a problem I'll ask for a new graphics card. Thanks!

Board footer