You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-04 18:59:51

oxygen_wobble

Lenovo Flex 5i - Sound is horribly distorted with JACK

Hi,

I just got a new laptop, a Lenovo flex 5i. Sound in general (with pulseaudio) is working fine, I installed the sof-firmware, etc.

The only problem I found is with JACK (jack2). Sound is horribly distorted with Jack, no matter whether I run Firefox, SuperCollider or my own software.

I tried with an external USB sound card and it works fine.

EDIT: Another symptom is that the samplerate is not detected correctly. I.e, when starting JACK with a samplerate of 44100, SuperCollider still detects 48000.

ANOTHER EDIT: PipeWire works as well ..

Is this a known problem ? Is there a fix ?

Here's some info:

~ % lspci -v | grep Audio

00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller (rev 20)
cat /etc/modprobe.d/audio_powersave.conv

option snd_hda_intel power_save=1

Last edited by oxygen_wobble (2022-01-04 19:33:17)

#2 2022-01-05 14:57:44

jemgoss

Re: Lenovo Flex 5i - Sound is horribly distorted with JACK

See my post https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=272805.
But that would only explain a change in behavior after upgrading the linux kernel.

Did you find a combination of sample rate, frames, periods that work for your system?
Some sound cards only work with frames as a power of 2.

#3 2022-01-05 18:16:27

oxygen_wobble

Re: Lenovo Flex 5i - Sound is horribly distorted with JACK

Haven't found anything yet, but I think it's an issue between JACK and the internal sound card. As mentioned, USB sound cards work fine.

It really sounds like the card doesn't like the sample bitrate or something. I've heard noise like that when there's a mismatch, i.e. if one side uses F32 and the other S16_LE ...

But that still wouldn't explain why clients don't see the correct samplerate ...

Board footer