You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-06 13:21:16

j_onland

[SOLVED] Flickering on hardware accelerated apps using Nouveau

Hi,

I am at a loss and though I'm still a bit of a noob, I don't think this is a newbie problem.
My problem: scrolling in hardware accelerated apps (like Firefox and Spotify) results in flickering (no flickering with hardware acceleration turned off in these apps). I have a NVidia GTX 1660 card and use Nouveau as its driver.

nomodeset is not set (plus I tried adding nouveau.modeset=1 as a kernel param, to no avail)
installed are: mesa, xf86-video-nouveau, libva-mesa-driver, mesa-vdpau, nouveau-fw

I am aware that my card is not fully supported by Nouveau, but the weird thing is: I don't experience this problem on a Manjaro thumb drive boot, using Nouveau driver (Manjaro i3 version, so no Wayland). After installing Firefox and Spotify on this Manjaro boot, both apps display smooth scrolling out of the box.
The VDPAU and VA-API drivers on my Arch system and on the Manjaro boot are the same (output of vainfo and vdpauinfo are also the same), leaving me guessing there must be a flag or setting I'm missing on my Arch system, but I have no clue as to what that could be.

Also, no flickering on Manjaro with both Picom running and not running and flickering on Arch with both Picom running (vsync enabled) and not running.

So, (I'm guessing) hardware acceleration, using Nouveau, could work properly on my Arch system, but does not.

Last edited by j_onland (2022-01-06 18:27:40)

#2 2022-01-06 14:45:17

seth

Re: [SOLVED] Flickering on hardware accelerated apps using Nouveau

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=271329
=> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=271316 blames the update to kernel 5.15.2 and claims the LTS one to be ok (what might explain the difference w/ manjaro?)

#3 2022-01-06 18:17:59

j_onland

Re: [SOLVED] Flickering on hardware accelerated apps using Nouveau

Ah that was my blind spot. Writing now live from a smooth scrolling experience, using the LTS kernel. Thanks smile

Board footer