You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-14 22:36:38

PixelWidow

[SOLVED] Troublesome HP printer scanner

Scrolling through the slew of documentation and support for HP printers, I figured my case would be an easy one to solve. Two days later I still don't have access to my printer scanner, and this problem is beginning to irritate me to the point of pleading to the arch forums for help.

To start, I have an HP LaserJet printer (model: HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M125nw). I hope to use this printer over LAN for both printing and scanning. I have installed several utilities thus far:

cups (2.4.0-4)
cups-pdf
hplip (3.21.12)
sane (1.0.32-3)

most relevant to my situation is probably hplip. It comes with a variety of scripts and binaries that diagnose/setup/print/scan hp equipment. After having set up the CUPS interface for my scanner and selecting appropriate drivers, I am able to print using the lp binary (though this does not recognize libreoffice standards like .odt/odp). However, using the same set of tools in hplip does not get me access to my scanner. I currently believe the appropriate script for the job to be hp-scan. Consequently, I used hp-check to scan for devices that hp-scan can use. This is what I came up with:

---------------------
| Python Extentions |
---------------------

cupsext              CUPS-Extension                                               REQUIRED        -               3.21.12         OK         -
 hpmudext             IO-Extension                                                 REQUIRED        -               3.21.12         OK         -

----------------------
| Scan Configuration |
----------------------

hpaio                HPLIP-SANE-Backend                                           REQUIRED        -               3.21.12         OK         'h>
 scanext              Scan-SANE-Extension                                          REQUIRED        -               3.21.12         OK         -

------------------------------
| DISCOVERED SCANNER DEVICES |
------------------------------

device v4l:/dev/video0 is a Noname UVC Camera (046d:0825) virtual device

--------------------------
| DISCOVERED USB DEVICES |
--------------------------

No devices found.

---------------------------------
| INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |
---------------------------------

HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M125nw

Type: Unknown
Device URI: socket://192.168.0.20
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M125nw.ppd
PPD Description:
Printer status: printer HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M125nw is idle.  enabled since Thu 13 Jan 2022 10:31:49 PM EST

Taking this information to hp-scan yields little if any success.
Running: `hp-scan -d socket://192.168.0.20` gets:

error: 'socket://192.168.0.20' device doesn't support this feature (or) Invalid device URI

Running: `hp-scan -p HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M125nw` gets:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/hp-scan", line 362, in <module>
    device_uri = mod.getDeviceUri(device_uri, printer_name,
  File "/usr/share/hplip/base/module.py", line 554, in getDeviceUri
    device.parseDeviceURI(uri)
  File "/usr/share/hplip/base/device.py", line 829, in parseDeviceURI
    raise Error(ERROR_INVALID_DEVICE_URI)
base.g.Error: ('Unknown/invalid device-uri field', 4)

I have been all over the place looking for someone with this same problem and have come up empty. I appreciate any help provided!

Last edited by PixelWidow (2022-01-16 03:04:19)

"It is the mark of a truly educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"
-Aristotle

#2 2022-01-14 23:21:54

merlock

Re: [SOLVED] Troublesome HP printer scanner

man scanimage 

Particularly:

scanimage -L

Eenie meenie, chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak -- Bullwinkle J. Moose
It's a big club...and you ain't in it -- George Carlin
Registered Linux user #149839
perl -e 'print$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10); '

#3 2022-01-14 23:29:40

PixelWidow

That looks promising at first.
Until you see the output of `scanimage -L`:

device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname UVC Camera (046d:0825) virtual device

I also tried hammering the socket name of the printer into the -d option (using `scanimage -d socket://192.168.0.20`):

scanimage: open of device socket://192.168.0.20 failed: Invalid argument

"It is the mark of a truly educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"
-Aristotle

#4 2022-01-15 06:29:26

merlock

I don't think you installed your printer correctly.  I've never seen a

socket://

URI for a printer/MFD.

Eenie meenie, chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak -- Bullwinkle J. Moose

#5 2022-01-15 09:51:42

uhoso

You need to install hplilp plugin. If you use the hp device manager, it offers to download and install it. You may also install it from AUR, but in my case this doesn't work

#6 2022-01-16 00:39:22

PixelWidow

merlock wrote:

I don't think you installed your printer correctly.

What specifically do you mean by "installed"?

I have a printer connected to my modem and registered with the static address 192.168.0.20. The interesting thing about my printer is it even hosts an http web server that provides access to printer options, but not a scan utility (even though, I figure it would be a breeze for the developers to set up something like that). I also have set up a cups interface for this printer. After a bit of digging I came up with drivers for my specific device and was able to get it to print a pdf, so I know there is a connection to be had.

-Aristotle

#7 2022-01-16 03:03:57

PixelWidow

I'm going to mark this as [SOLVED], because I finally came across some very revealing information on this topic. For the record as @uhoso mentioned hp-plugin was relevant to the subject of setting up HP printers, but not in my case. Even though, to be clear, I did install it (to no satisfactory end). In the sea of information surrounding this topic, I had passed over [link]https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag … ices/index[/link] with too quick a glance. As I had said earlier my printer model is: "HP Laserjet MFP m125nw", and an investigation of the aforementioned page tells that this printer model is currently not supported in any capacity. Not *yet* anyways. Apparently, the Laserjet MFP mXXX series of printers has steadily been gaining more and more support. I am not certain of the span between updates on support; however, I was able to find out the release dates of printers in this series. A higher indexed mXXX value means an older model. The most recent mXXX series printer on the list is the Laserjet MFP m140a, and that was released the same year as my printer (as far as I could gather). So for anyone giving up hope on their "HP Laserjet MFP m125nw" printer, please know support appears to be coming.

For everyone dying to know when their printer is supported I made a bash script (with minimal dependencies, of course) which fetches data from that list of HP supported printers that I mentioned:

until timeout --signal=SIGINT --preserve-status 2 ping 1.1.1.1 # waits for internet connection
do
true
done
wget -P /HewlettPackard/ https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index
a=`ls -v1 /HewlettPackard/cache | tail -1`
diff  /HewlettPackard/index.1 index >> /HewlettPackard/$[a+1] # files will be in /HewlettPackard/cache in diff format with a numbered file name
mv  /HewlettPackard/index.1  /HewlettPackard/index

Before implementing this, please note, you need the file "index" to already be in /HewlettPackard (this can be empty).
Also, /HewlettPackard needs to correspond to an actual directory on your machine

Edit: This script doesn't work; Don't use it

Last edited by PixelWidow (2022-01-17 19:59:56)

-Aristotle

#8 2022-01-16 07:33:19

progandy

What are you talking about? "HP LaserJet Pro MFP m125nw" is listed as having "Full" support since driver 3.14.3 and requiring the hplip-plugin. Only ChromeOS support is missing.

If that printer has a static ip, then have you tried "hp-setup 192.168.0.20" yet?

Last edited by progandy (2022-01-16 07:36:32)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#9 2022-01-16 14:38:50

merlock

@PixelWindow:  in my context, installed = properly configured.  Again, I focused on that funky URI you posted.

These are the URI's for my OJP 8710:

Printer:  Device URI: hp:/net/HP_OfficeJet_Pro_8710?ip=192.168.25.12

Fax:  hpfax:/net/HP_OfficeJet_Pro_8710?ip=192.168.25.12

Scanner:  hpaio:/net/HP_OfficeJet_Pro_8710?ip=192.168.25.12

I've always just set up my printers thru the CUPS web interface...never had to use hplip utils.

#10 2022-01-17 20:15:01

PixelWidow

progandy wrote:

What are you talking about? "HP LaserJet Pro MFP m125nw" is listed as having "Full" support since driver 3.14.3 ... ChromeOS support is missing.

Wow, I really am bad at troubleshooting basic things. So in my previous posts (spare my first) I kept referring to my printer as an "HP Laserjet MFP m125nw" without somehow realizing the name was "HP Laserjet Pro MFP m125nw". I could probably blame the text search function for my web client, but that would be silly of me.

progandy wrote:

If that printer has a static ip, then have you tried "hp-setup 192.168.0.20" yet?

Again, this was a failure of my troubleshooting skills. I didn't realize, or even check for that matter, to see if hp-setup had more robust functionality than just a GUI. A simple "hp-setup --help" would've revealed the proper answer to my dilemma. I had initially used "hp-makeuri" to "make" a URI for my printer, seeing, as @merlock pointed out, my funky usage of URI.

The funny thing is that command actually gave me an output - which (after I had properly setup my printer using "hp-setup 192.168.0.20") was, in fact, the correct URI for my printer. However, using this URI did not work for hp-scan. I specifically had to use hp-setup *first, before using the URI*. I don't know why this is, or why the utility "hp-makeuri" even exists.

I *now* can safely wrap this thread up as [Solved].
Thank you all for the amazing support. The Arch Linux forums are great to visit because of you.

-Aristotle

Board footer