You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-03 13:49:27

zetta

[Solved] Lenovo Legion 5 (Ryzen 7 5800H) installation issues

I recently bought a Lenovo Legion 5 gaming laptop (17ACH6H) with the following specs:

17.3"
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
16GB RAM
512GB SSD

I installed Arch on it (along with X and i3) and I encountered a couple of issues:

1. Only UEFI
2. No wifi adapter
3. X not starting
4. Brightness not adjustable
5. No sound

I spent a couple of hours troubleshooting to solve all these issues. I thought I would share my insights here.

1. Only UEFI

This is actually not an issue with the laptop but just ignorance on my part. On previous laptops, I always switched the bios to Legacy (instead of UEFI). Now the Legion 5 mandates UEFI. So I had to figure out how to install Arch using UEFI. The Arch wiki was very helpful. I did as follows:

fdisk/cfdisk /dev/nvme0n1
=> Select gpt format
=> Create /dev/nvme0n1p1 - 1GB - type: EFI System
=> Create /dev/nvme0n1p1 - 475GB - type: Linux filesystem
mkfs.ext4 /dev/nvme0n1p2
mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt/
mkdir /mnt/boot
mkdir /mnt/boot/EFI
mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/nvme0n1p1
mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot/EFI/
pacstrap /mnt/ linux linux-firmware ...
pacman -S grub efibootmgr dosfstools os-prober mtools
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --bootloader-id=grub_uefi --recheck
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Furthermore, Secure Boot must be disabled in the bios settings.

2. No wifi adapter

After starting Arch for the fist time, I noticed that "ip link" did not show a wifi interface. The laptop has this wifi card:

lspci | grep Network
04:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8852

To get wifi working, I first installed linux-headers and then rtw89-dkms-git (AUR). After a reboot, the wifi interface was available.

Without NetworkManager yet installed, I also needed to run this to get WIFI working: "rfkill unblock wlan"

EDIT: I bought a new wifi card (AX200NGW) which works out of the box.

3. X not starting

When I tried to run X via startx, then it failed with these error messages:

Fatal server error: no screens found
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Bad file descriptor
xinit: server error

I installed xf86-video-amdgpu but this didn't help. (I believe this is only for AMD graphics cards?)

Installing xorg-drivers, I could launch X. Going through all the drivers one by one, I found out that installing xf86-video-fbdev did the trick. However, I could not get brightness control working with fbdev. Also, I'm not sure if fbdev is a good solution. So I looked further.

When booting Arch, this error message was shown on the login screen:

nouveau 000:01:00.0: unknown chipset (b76000a1)

Having a look at the nouveau feature matrix, the GeForce RTX 3060 is currently not supported:
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/FeatureMatrix.html

So I blacklisted nouveau with this kernel parameter: nouveau.modeset=0

Now I installed the propriety NVIDIA graphics card driver:

pacman -S nvidia

After rebooting, X was working fine. (An xorg.conf can be generated with the nvidia-xconfig command. However, this is not necessary.)

4. Brightness not adjustable

Now having X running, I noticed that the bright is not adjustable via /sys/class/backlight/.
After some googling, I could fix this by adding the following EnableBrightnessControl line to the xorg configuration:

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/01-device.conf 
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Device0"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    VendorName  "NVIDIA Corperation"
    Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
EndSection

(Later, I added the kernel parameter nvidia-drm.modeset=1 and brightness control stopped working. So I removed this parameter again.)

5. No sound

Sound did not work out of the box. Running alsamixer or aplay -l, I noticed that there are two sound cards:

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC287 Analog [ALC287 Analog]

When switching to the generic sound card (card 1), sound was working. So I wanted to set card 1 as default sound card. I achieved this by adding this line to .bash_profile:

ALSA_CARD=Generic

Again, this Arch wiki was very helpful:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Advanc … sound_card

Last edited by zetta (2022-01-20 18:05:24)

#2 2021-10-05 02:26:52

Trikenstein

Re: [Solved] Lenovo Legion 5 (Ryzen 7 5800H) installation issues

Regarding the partitioning, you were using cfdisk on GTP partition?

Arch doc GPT fdisk seems not to mention `cfdisk`. I used `cgdisk` instead. Not sure if there is any difference compared to `cfdisk`. The doc recommends:

For basic partitioning functionality with a text user interface, cgdisk(8) can be used

#3 2021-10-10 19:18:25

zetta

The wiki page you shared is about a couple of very specific tools made by Rod Smith.

Have a look at this general page:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Partit … ning_tools

Here, fdisk and cfdisk are mentioned.

I have always used these two since they support both mbr and gpt. Also, they are included in the Arch live ISO.

#4 2021-10-10 19:56:40

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: moving to Laptop Issues, on request.

Please note that this sort of topic is discouraged. Documentation should be added to the wiki, where it can be more easily maintained.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2021-10-13 09:37:04

Vitadek

I have the lesser version of the Legion, with the Ryzen 5 and 1650ti.

I had very similar issues. During install, I couldn't see "wlan0" during iwconfig or ip link dev. I tried rfkill unblock wifi, and it still didn't seem to notice my wifi card. I just redownloaded the .iso, and it seemed to work after rfkill unblock wifi.

Also, nouveau drivers are terrible, I just include proprietary Nvidia drivers during my initial install. I actually found more support on Wayland than X11 with the open source drivers - but they were still terrible and crashed after a couple minutes.

Brightness is set to max and I can't change it, I'll have to add what you have to my config and come back to this post.

Also, the sound didn't work for me either out of the box. After installing pulseaudio and a quick reboot, it worked just fine.

I'm running XFCE4 with X11.

#6 2022-01-15 07:00:35

tophsic

Hi,

I have the same hardware configuration as you @zetta.

I tried again to install archlinux. I didn't do it for a long time. I forgot few things. Tank you for your help! It was precious in addition to [Installation Guide](https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Instal … n%C3%A7ais)] (in french for me).

I did not managed to boot. I had an error message "Kernel panic... Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block". I did not get the all log but I suspected a problem with partionning. I configured partition 1 as you mention in your post (EFI, 1G so last sector is 2099200, 2097152 + 2048). But on error message, it seemed to wait a partition with 1048576 sectors.

After reinstalling and configuring partition 1 only with 512M. I managed to boot.

Previously, I encountered difficulties to see the problem because I did not know well grub and was stuck on Lenovo graphical logo. I had to remove "quiet" option on grub linux command and add "nomodeset" (and "debug" to see the real problem).

#7 2022-01-20 18:04:13

zetta

Since the built-in wifi card from Realtek RTL8852AE requires an additional package from the AUR, I decided to buy another wifi card by Intel - specifically the AX200NGW. This one works without any issues both on Arch Linux and on Windows 10.

Board footer