You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-15 10:49:31

DrMaex

(SOLVED) Need help on repairing Xorg after Systemupdate (AMDGPU)

Hello,
Some days ago I suddenly couldnt boot into my KDE anymore.
The PC just hangs on boot and I need to switch to the terminal with ALT+F3

I tried several things but now i am running out of ideas. But i still have full access to the system
Unfortunately i get the error url not specified when I try to run

sudo lspci -k | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

but i can ping ix.io... (any ideas??)

I am writing this post from my laptop (where the command is working...) this all the output is manually typed...
My graphics card

01:00.0 VGA Compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7979/8970 OEM / R9 280X]
              Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Tahti XT2 [Matrix HD 7970 Platinum]
              Kernel Modules: radeon, amdgpu

Reinstalling amdgpu and xorg with previously running "pacman -Rdd xorg" did not help.
Deleting all video related configs in "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d" also did not help
Creating a new config with "Xorg :0 -configure" also did not help. (I tried also to remove all the setting which does not seem to be essential to me, like second monitor and so on)
When I boot and then cancel the hanging state with ALT+F3 i dont see any fresh Xorg.0.log in /var/log, it only gets created after I force it with "sudo startx"

Here i see that something went wrong but i dont know how to deal with it

(II) AMDGPU(0): [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled
(EE) AMDGPU(0): [drm] Failed to open DRM device for pci:0000:01:00:1: no such file or directory
(EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section
(EE) Device(s) detected , but none match those in the config file
(EE) no Screens found(EE)

When I remove radon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 like suggested in Archwiki-AMDGPU when one has Southern Islands (SI) card
I see messages  about incompatible DRM version

and in the log i see folloging lines

(EE) AMDGPU(0): amdgpu_device_initialize_failed
(II) AMDGPU(1): [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled
(EE) AMDGPU(1): [drm] device is not DRM master
(EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section
(EE) Device(s) detected , but none match those in the config file

I would appreciate any suggestions what else I could do before reinstalling the whole system...(that would be my least preferred solution)

p.s the card is working as expected when i try dualboot into windows on another harddrive so there are no hardware defects

Last edited by DrMaex (2022-01-15 11:23:50)

#2 2022-01-15 11:04:08

Lone_Wolf

Re: (SOLVED) Need help on repairing Xorg after Systemupdate (AMDGPU)

01:00.0 VGA Compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7979/8970 OEM / R9 280X]

There's a bug in kernel 5.16 for that card that prevents it from working .

read https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=273100 for options

If you want to follow upstream progress on this, https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1860

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2022-01-15 11:22:23

DrMaex

Oh wow, thank you very much. So basically when i understand it right its a bug and not a feature and i just need to wait until some of the next kernel releases and it should start working again? i can afford waiting as i dont want to recompile things or make a downgrade.

#4 2022-01-15 11:34:30

Lone_Wolf

The linux-lts kernel package was just switched from 5.10 to 5.15 and coexists fine with the linux package .

Install linux-lts and configure your bootloader to allow you to choose between linux-lts and linux at boottime.
Then you don't need to downgrade anything and will keep an uptodate system.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2022-01-15 11:50:11

DrMaex

Lone_Wolf wrote:

The linux-lts kernel package was just switched from 5.10 to 5.15 and coexists fine with the linux package .

Install linux-lts and configure your bootloader to allow you to choose between linux-lts and linux at boottime.
Then you don't need to downgrade anything and will keep an uptodate system.

Actually quite good idea after such experience. thank you. I became very careless running "pacman -Syu" because it just works all the time and usually all problems had my own handling as the root cause. but this time its different.

Board footer