You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-16 22:36:29

JackMacWindows

Why are wireplumber and pipewire-media-session marked as conflicting?

I wanted to install both WirePlumber and pipewire-media-session together so I could swap them out quickly for testing. (This would just be running

systemctl --user disable pipewire-media-session && systemctl --user enable wireplumber --now

and vice versa.) However, I found that both packages are marked as conflicting, even though they have no shared files and could appear on the same system together (?). I understand that they can't be enabled/running at the same time, but this could potentially be solved by disabling the other session manager if necessary. Is there any reason I'm missing that mandates the conflict, or is this just to protect users from accidentally having them both running at the same time?

#2 2022-01-16 23:18:02

icar

Re: Why are wireplumber and pipewire-media-session marked as conflicting?

This was discussed in IRC.

I personally disagree with this decision; the same way you can have more than one network daemon installed at the same time, and you are expected to enable just one, you should be able to have both Pipewire session managers installed at the same time. Apparently, the maintainer does not agree with this view.

Board footer