You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-20 16:40:52

FosRex

Wifi networks not showing.

I was just using my laptop and suddenly my USB mouse started lagging, it was laggy and unresponsive for about 5-6 seconds then it seemed to be working fine again. But just after that i lost my internet connection at first i thought it was just a disconnection so i looked at nmtui but there were no wifi networks showing, not just my home network but wifi networks in my surrounding were not showing either. So, I thought maybe a little restart will fix the problem so i restarted my laptop then during the shutdown process this error repeated continuously.

ath: phy0: DMA failed to stop in 10 ms AR_CR=0xffffffff AR_DIAG_SW=0xffffffff DMADBG_7=0xffffffff
ath: phy0: Chip reset failed
ath: phy0: Unable to reset channel, reset status -22

Then after sometime the laptop restarted but the problem was still not fixed. I tried restarting NetworkManager with systemctl, tried connection with nmcli instead of nmtui but still no luck fixing. Then i tried booting into Arch iso (Release: 2021.12.01) but iwctl scan returned nothing and that error code was repeating during the arch iso startup and even while typing the commands so i had to constantly Ctrl + L to clear and type the command. Then I tried live booting into Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon but still I could  not connect or even find any wifi networks.

I tried updating Arch since the Ethernet was still working but nothing changed. I am currently on Kernel: 5.16.1-arch1-1, NetworkManager version 1.34.0-1.

I am currently on the same laptop but with a USB wifi adapter and I am still constantly facing the USB mouse lag every 1 minute and not just the USB mouse, my USB keyboard is also lagging and when that happens the CPU usages spikes to sometime 100%(Memory usage is usual) while just using firefox with some text based sites opened. I monitored application usages in htop and the application that causes the sudden spike is wpa_supplicant. And that spike also affects Youtube videos with buffering issues not due to internet but with playback issues and generally everything.

My systems specs:

Kernel: 5.16.1-arch1-1

Laptop: Toshiba satellite C50-A
CPU: Intel Celeron 1037U (2) @ 1.800GHz
Memory: 4 Gi
Swap: 4Gi
Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

NetworkManager v1.34.0-1
wpa_supplicant v2.9

#2 2022-01-20 22:31:12

seth

Re: Wifi networks not showing.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 6#p1907446
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p1944611

Check rfkill - does the notebook have a physical wifi switch?

But "suddenly" and "Arch iso … error code" and "Linux Mint 20.2 … could  not connect or even find any wifi networks" sounds a lot like that chip is moving to a serverfarm upstate…
You could inspect it and check whether it's come loose or so.

The lags on the bus are probably just a symptom of the frequently failing reset attempts.

#3 2022-01-21 07:16:57

FosRex

Re: Wifi networks not showing.

Adding "intel_iommu=off" kernel parameters did not help.

I am not skilled enough to tape a pin on the internal wifi module.

seth wrote:

Check rfkill - does the notebook have a physical wifi switch?

rfkill returned this:

2: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no

And my notebook does not have any physical wifi switch, so the wifi is not blocked by anything.

seth wrote:

You could inspect it and check whether it's come loose or so.

I checked the chip and it was not loose and i made sure to properly place it before closing the case and still the problem was not fixed.

seth wrote:

The lags on the bus are probably just a symptom of the frequently failing reset attempts.

Yes, the lags were the symptoms of the frequently failing reset attempts. So, i blacklisted the internal wifi module in modprobe.conf

#Blacklist the wifi (remove and reboot when needed)
blacklist ath9k

and it fixed the lag. But now i have to use and external USB wifi adapter to connect to wifi.

Thank you seth for your help.

But I think its my internal wifi module that is damaged and either replacing it or using an external wifi adapter is the only solution.

Board footer