You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-21 23:42:56

alba4k
Website

[SOLVED by itself] Messed up home folder

So, basically, I was trying to do a separate home partition on /dev/sda2, while the root one would have staid on /dev/nvme0n1p2, so I created a mountpoint /a and

sudo mount /dev/sda3 /a

I then copied /home on it with

sudo cp -r /home/* /a/

And I now had a /a/alba4k copy of my /home/alba4k

I then logged out, logged in as root in tty2 and did what might have been one of the dumbest thing I did this month:

rm -r /home/alba4k

assuming I had an exact copy

I then mounted the partition I'd just created on /home, which worked fine, and after some strugge figured out I had to

chown -R /home/alba4k alba4k

in order to log in, after some permission issues

I managed that way to log in in a tty, but when I tried on sddm, it just got stuck after I put my password in

At this point I changed the mountpoint of /dev/sda3 to /a and copied all of its contents to /home, then ran

chown -r /home/alba4k alba4k

again, which comes to the current situation, from which I have no clue how to exit (I have already tried to restart sddm, and the whole system)

So I am currently able to log in and use my laptop from a tty, but sddm freezes after I put my password in, when trying to log in on both i3 and plasma, like there was no home folder

I know that the fix might be really easy, but any help would really be appreciated!

Thank y'all a lot in advance!

Last edited by alba4k (2022-01-21 23:47:23)

#2 2022-01-21 23:46:58

alba4k
Website

Re: [SOLVED by itself] Messed up home folder

Nvm, just randomly fixed itself
I can go to sleep now lmao (1AM)

Board footer