You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-21 21:46:57

dr1fter

how to track progress of package upgrades

disclaimer: my question does not strictly fit into this category - however, I could not find a better-suited-one :-/

Every so often, I am eagerly waiting for certain package upgrades to be released. For example, whenever a new version of python is released upstream, I very impatiently wait for the pkg-upgrade to arrive for arch (sometimes, I build it myself from source. if I am super-impatient).

I am aware that in the package-registry, released versions will be flagged as `outdated` rather soon. Also, one can track progress through `staging`|`testing`. However, this is a rather indirect means of following progress. Is there a "canonical" (not referring to the company) way of getting more involved into package maintainers' updates? Like mailing lists, or the like?

I did spend some time reading through the "getting involved" parts of archwiki. However, I do not actually want to go as far as actually contributing (although maybe I should consider this..?), but just to find a better means to watch progress. Maybe also discussions around issues.

I am especially interested in:
- python
- linux # the kernel, not the OS..
- cinnamon

so also special-case hints would be appreciated. Is it an acceptable approach to simply contact the package-maintainers individually? I actually prefer not to annoy people who do work I profit from for free, so I so far did not dare to bother them.. :-)

#2 2022-01-22 00:17:52

twelveeighty

Re: how to track progress of package upgrades

dr1fter wrote:

[...] package maintainers' updates? Like mailing lists, or the like?

I'm not a maintainer, but I would guess this depends greatly on the package and the maintainer: while some maintainers post updates - typically with issues, upstream dependency clashes, etc., I'm sure most of them are doing exactly what you would do: build the package, deal with packaging bugs, etc. and if they're not live-streaming themselves doing that, it will be invisible to the outside world?

If you're just super anxious/curious about the new upstream updates for those three packages, I would just build them yourself if you think you will typically "beat" the official ones to it.

#3 2022-01-22 00:40:21

Slithery
Administrator

Read #6 in this post for the official answer...
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130138

Also note that only a small amount of packages actually go through testing or staging....
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Official_repositories

If there are any major rebuilds pending then there will probably be a discussion in the arch-dev mailing list.

For kernel updates that are coming down the line then Phoronix is probably a good source of information - the forums are usually a source of amusement too...
If you don't want to wait for the week or so it usually takes Arch to roll a new kernel then you can always just use the linux-mainline or linux-git AUR packages.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2022-01-22 00:43:30

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You can subscribe to RSS/Atom feeds for all the packages you are interested in, that way you'll see when they are pushed to the repos. Eg., python
https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-p … ython.atom

You can also subscribe to the ML to see discussions around large rebuilds, which will give you a heads up for what is in the pipe.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2022-01-22 22:01:28

dr1fter

this depends greatly on the package and the maintainer

okay, makes sense, of course..

If you're just super anxious/curious about the new upstream updates for those three packages, I would just build them yourself if you think you will typically "beat" the official ones to it.

Read #6 in this post for the official answer...
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130138

I am aware that package maintainers do not want to be repeatedly asked about when a new version will be out. That's why I never did this, and that's why I am interested in ways to track/follow their progress without annoying people :-)
Sure, I can be faster if I build myself - speed/impatience is not my major concern, though (before switching to arch ~3y ago, I was on Debian..).

arch-dev mailing list.

that seems like a good hint - will register, thanks!

You can subscribe to RSS/Atom feeds for all the packages you are interested in, that way you'll see when they are pushed to the repos. Eg., python
https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-python.atom

I was not aware of said RSS feeds - again: thanks!

Considering this, I might just as well track the upstream git repositories, and directly track those,  (I am of course _very_ familiar w/ git) right?

Thanks for your hints!

Board footer