You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-31 13:27:43

azurit3

Same source file: 1 split pkg or 3 independent pkgs

There is a project that provides 1 compressed file that is used to create 3 pkgs, But at each new release of that compressed file, only some files are updated, and that means the speed of the need for updates is different for each of the 3 pkgs.
Should I use:
- 1 split pkg: reuse the same downloaded source file, but then pkgver is shared across all 3 pkgs, and then some pkg would need update even if nothing changed.
- 3 independent pkgs: download the same source file for each of the 3 pkgs, but then we have control of the pkgver of each of the 3 pkgs.

How to deal with a situation like this?

#2 2022-01-31 14:35:47

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Same source file: 1 split pkg or 3 independent pkgs

3 independent packages. makepkg has the SRCDIR configuration option for those who want to share the source across packages.

#3 2022-01-31 16:04:56

azurit3

Allan wrote:

3 independent packages. makepkg has the SRCDIR configuration option for those who want to share the source across packages.

I'm inclined to 3 independent packages too.
1 split pkg is very appealing, clean and elegant in this situation. I know an official package that do this, but without control of pkgver and pkgrel for each pkg, it's misleading for the user, that see new updates that in fact provide no real update.
Are there any technical issues to not provide control of pkgver and pkgrel for each pkg in split pkgs?

#4 2022-02-01 11:07:39

Lone_Wolf

1 split pkg is very appealing, clean and elegant in this situation.

Can these packages share one build() function ?
If they need seperate build commands the PKGBUILD won't be clean & elegant anymore.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2022-02-01 14:12:55

azurit3

Lone_Wolf wrote:

1 split pkg is very appealing, clean and elegant in this situation.

Can these packages share one build() function ?
If they need seperate build commands the PKGBUILD won't be clean & elegant anymore.

The 1 split pkg situation I was thinking and know it is happening in an official arch package, doesn't need the build(), no file is executable or needs to be assembled or modified.
Sharing 1 build() function can be one more argument in favor of 1 split pkg be clean and elegant.
The only problem with 1 split pkg, and why I will not be using it, is not having control of pkgver and pkgrel can create misleading situations, new updates with nothing new.

Last edited by azurit3 (2022-02-01 14:14:31)

Board footer