You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-04 09:01:45

kingdotnet
Banned

What distros does the Arch forum consider following terms

thanks appreciate it, can someone add a delete button for idiots like me? lol, bored at 4 am and curious, bad combo lmfao

Last edited by kingdotnet (2022-02-04 09:24:10)

#2 2022-02-04 09:10:35

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: What distros does the Arch forum consider following terms

Arch from the ISO is Arch installed by following the Installation guide on the wiki, or alternatively archinstall which is also on the normal ISO (in which case you need to post in the dedicated "Guided Installer" forum in case of problems with the install procedure), everything else is not.

BlackArch is in so far a "special" case that by enabling it's repo you basically transform Arch into a derivate. They do not just have packages that Arch doesn't but actively introduce/contain packaging issues if combined with the normal Arch repos lead to conflicts that are entirely up to the BlackArch community to handle.

The main reason why we also consider things that "just install Arch trust me" as not Arch because it's one of the core and strong points that you have control, and hence actually know, what kind of configuration and changes you made to your system and are expected to be able to accurately reflect that when making support requests. If you just copied someone else's installation (... which is what an installation script is and does at the end of the day), you have absolutely no idea what exactly happened on your system and have absolutely no idea where to look in case of problems. In which case it's logical that you should ask for help from the person whose installation you copied since they will know what exactly is being configured.

Last edited by V1del (2022-02-04 09:18:01)

#3 2022-02-04 09:16:50

kingdotnet
Banned

I see, I still think its too vague, Archfi/archdi scripts can be exectuted on any distro, Arch or other, ArchGUI is Arch, and Arco when you boot up, it doesnt say Arco, it says the version of Arch your booting, whatever the version is, Arch & Gentoo as everyone knows are so versitile theyre more meta-distro.

I understand now, I dont agree, but now I understand why, thankyou

Last edited by kingdotnet (2022-02-04 09:19:45)

#4 2022-02-04 09:28:02

V1del
Forum Moderator

All of these have, or are supposed to have their own support channels. Arco definitely has.

Last edited by V1del (2022-02-04 09:31:39)

#5 2022-02-04 11:06:35

V1del
Forum Moderator

Please don't blank your posts, we consider it rude, it was a valid question leading to a valid discussion that has now been vandalized to basically being useless: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Genera … way_street

I understand since you are likely not intent on using normal Arch you aren't likely to post here further given the reasonings in this thread, that's no reason to remove the valid questions you did have.

#6 2022-02-04 13:50:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Also note that how other distros try to (mis)represent themselves isn't particularly relevant.  Just as if someone sold you a knock-off or counterfeit "iPhone" that you get denied support for at Apple store for support.  It's not an Apple product, they can't help - the fact that someone else tricked you doesn't have any bearing on that.  No matter how much you say "the guy who sold it to me promised it was a real iPhone" it wont change.

To me this is a perfect parallel.  This community doesn't have any ill will towards anyone who installs one of these arch-based distros, but sometimes we (or certainly I) do to some of those distros.  Some arch-based distros are quite clear about what they are offering and offer their own good support.  I've not kept an eye on it in some time, but I've previously found Chakra to be a great example of this.  Other arch-based distros are much more akin to counterfeiting - and the users of those distros are victims whom we'd only have sympathy for.  But we still can't support their systems.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-02-04 13:53:45)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2022-02-04 14:34:30

Allan
Pacman
Website

Trilby wrote:

I've not kept an eye on it in some time, but I've previously found Chakra to be a great example of this..

I have sad news:
https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resou … tory=14141

But they were a good contributor to the Arch ecosystem.  The package splitting implementation in pacman was developed there.

#8 2022-02-04 19:17:22

NuSkool

the fact that someone else tricked you doesn't have any bearing on that

More realistic analogy:  Don't have (money=time) for an "iPhone", but want the prestige.

Buys "iFone" decal to put over android screen.

Note: When I used a cellphone, it was by choice a dumb flip phone, and I cheat some of my Arch installs with rsync.

Last edited by NuSkool (2022-02-04 19:20:42)

#9 2022-02-05 10:01:45

shulamy

i don't understand why not open a forum called "derivatives" and let anyone who used them in the past help if he wish to

ezik

#10 2022-02-05 10:26:19

Allan
Pacman
Website

shulamy wrote:

i don't understand why not open a forum called "derivatives" and let anyone who used them in the past help if he wish to

Other distros need their own support channels.

#11 2022-02-05 12:39:16

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

We could also open a forum called MS Windows and let anyone who used that in the past help there if they want.

We could then add an Apple OSX forum.  And perhaps a cooking forum, automotive repair, furnace maintenance.  Why exclude all these potentially useful flavors of information when there's a good chance lots of people on these forums know a thing or two about these topics and could help those looking for help.

Oh, right.  None of those are what this forum is for.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-02-05 12:39:52)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#12 2022-02-05 12:43:06

ayekat

Opening a subforum for other distributions here would also do a disservice to those other distributions, as some users would now hang around and exchange information here instead of their main support channels, thus splitting their community more than necessary.

As for a cooking subforum… I guess this community could provide quality Taco support.

pkgshackscfgblag

Board footer