#1 2006-10-17 18:50:13

slackhack

can't sync palm

i just got a palm pilot z22, and it won't sync. so far, this is what i've done:

- set /dev/tts/USB1 as the port
- added user to group tty
- created 01-palm-udev.rules with:
KERNEL=="ttyUSB[0-9]*", NAME="tts/USB%n", GROUP="users", MODE="0660"

but nothing. when i try to install user from jpilot, it just hangs with a message in the message area:

Syncing on device /dev/tts/USB1
Press the HotSync button now

so i tried syncing without a user, and i get an error telling me i have a null user and i need to install a user. roll

i tried creating the user manually, and i get this:

sero@homer:~ $ install-user -p /dev/tts/USB1 -u jeff -i 12345

Please check the permissions on /dev/tts/USB1..
   Possible solution:

chmod 0666 /dev/tts/USB1

Unable to bind to port: /dev/tts/USB1
   Please use --help for more information

sero@homer:~ $ su
Password: 
root@homer:/home/sero # chmod 0666 /dev/tts/USB1
root@homer:/home/sero # exit
exit
sero@homer:~ $ install-user -p /dev/tts/USB1 -u jeff -i 12345

Listening to port: /dev/tts/USB1

Please press the HotSync button now... Connected

Error read system info on /dev/tts/USB1

i'm stuck. :?:

>>edit: more info, kind of strange behavior, but seems to work as root:

first, pilot-xfer -l works, but only when i specify the port as -p /dev/tts/USB1. otherwise, it says it's defaulting to /dev/pilot, and it doesn't work.

so i tried the same thing with install-user, and this time it *doesn't* work if i specify the port. i have to leave the port off, then it says it's defaulting to /dev/pilot, and it *does* work. weird.  :? (all that is as root, btw.)

so i thought maybe if i change /dev/tts/USB1 to /dev/pilot in jpilot that would work for the user, but i still get the errors. then i launched jpilot as root, and it did sync, but i got a couple of errors:

'PC ID is 0.
I generated a new PC ID.  It is 1724112290
sync_categories: Unable to open file: Memo32DB
slow_sync_application: Unable to open file: Keys-Gtkr

i don't really like the idea of having to be root to sync, though i'll do it if i have to. but i'd really like to know which permissions are screwed up/how to fix. they all seem okay to me, unless the udev rule is wrong (shouldn't it be x7xx so user can execute?)

root@homer:~ # ll /dev/pilot
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2006-10-17 16:19 /dev/pilot -> tts/USB1
root@homer:~ # ll /dev/tts/USB1 
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 188, 1 2006-10-17 16:19 /dev/tts/USB1
root@homer:~ # cat /etc/group |grep tty
tty:x:5:sero

Syncing on device /dev/tts/USB1
Press the HotSync button now
pi_bind error: /dev/tts/USB1 Permission denied
Check your serial port and settings
Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_BIND
Finished

mad

#2 2006-10-18 00:13:30

CavalierBob

Re: can't sync palm

EDIT: I should note that the below applies to an old Palm Tungsten T and an up-to-date Arch system.

Well, I just got mine to sync with the following in a 'pilot.rules' file in /etc/udev/rules.d:

BUS="usb" SYSFS{product}="Palm Handheld*" KERNEL="ttyUSB*" SYMLINK="pilot" MODE="666" KERNEL="ttyUSB*" SYMLINK="pilot"

To sync, the path in the Serial Port section of the J-Pilot config is set as "/dev/tts/USB0".

While this seems to be working, the settings in the 'pilot.rules' file I created seem wrong. And the fact that I have to set 'USB0' in J-Pilot.

I've looked through the forum and the wiki and have not found any info for the correct settings for the rules file that is proper for the new udev. Or, at least I do not think they are correct as the posts are from very early in 2006.

Can someone post the proper udev rules for syncing a Palm with the new udev AND the correct device path to be used in applications (/dev/pilot, /dev/tts/USB?, etc.). I'd like to post the info into the wiki once I've got the correct info.

Both myself and the OP will appreciate it.

Thanks!

Bob

#3 2006-10-18 00:31:13

slackhack

Re: can't sync palm

i'm pretty sure the correct dev on my system is /dev/tts/USB1, because that's what works as root. the problem is getting it to work as the user, and i am out of ideas for that. i'm going to try what you posted when i get home, see if that works.

so far i have it working on my slackware laptop (no udev) and on a friend's FC5 (the easiest to get working - just plugged it in and it worked :shock: ). i copied the udev rules from FC, but they didn't work on arch, maybe it's a different version. kind of frustrating, since my friend knows next to nothing about linux, and here i am on this supposedly cutting edge system, and it seems like it should be working but it isn't.  sad

>>fwiw, here's the FC rule if you want to try it:

KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", SYSFS{product}=="Palm Handheld*", SYMLINK+="pilot", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0660"

>> edit: SUCCESS!

it turns out the FC rule did work, i just forgot to restart udev that time. i also made a uucp group b/c i had to do that for slack, too, but maybe it would work without it, or with a different group.

Board footer