My setup have 2 IDE disks that are used for the file system and /home
There is also
* 250Gb USB harddrive
* IPOD
* USB card reader with 2 different cards from my cameras
* USB memory stick
* CD/DVD

-My IDE mounts correctly all the time- No problem
-My USB harddrive mounts correctly if it is powered on when I start my computer. Sometimes I forget to power the USB harddrive on at startup and when I need it and power on it will end up on another device and I usually change my fstab and manually mount it.

So in general all my USB devices are a bit shaky when it comes to mounting. I have read the latest WIKI http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Per … ice_naming

All is not clear though sad

I would like to set up my system like this.

*My USB-harddrive should automount on for example /mnt/EXTRA allways even if it is not powered on at boot.

*My IPOD should allways mount on /media/IPOD (or something similar) but I would like to mount/umount it manually as user. Preferably with a nice desktop icon.

* Memory cards and USB-sticks should work in the same way as the IPOD

* CD/DVD should automount/umount automatically

-------------------
I am not really asking for a detailed finished solution (even if that would be nice  big_smile ) But more in the lines of what strategy and tools/softwares/deamons etc to use. Pointers to examples/docs etc are much welcommed.

Regards
Joakim

#2 2006-10-18 09:13:01

Linteg

Re: mounting/automounting

You can write udev-rules to make sure a specific device always get a certain symlink, there's (another) guide in the wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Usi … o_a_device
http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/10/07/s … rd-drives/ might also be helpful.

#3 2006-10-18 12:59:38

Snarkout

For your ipod (I've been through more iterations of this than I can remember at this point) make a rule in /etc/udev/rules.d called 00-ipod.rules or something similar.  Note that I created an ipod group and my user is a member of it - if you want to skip that step you can make the group "users" or whatever you want.

SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi", ATTRS{vendor}=="Apple", KERNEL=="sd?2", ATTRS{model}=="iPod*", NAME="%k", SYMLINK+="ipod", GROUP:="ipod", OPTIONS="last_rule"

I've never been entirely comfortable with udev rules since sometimes it seems like I need to have my rule run last to preserve parts of it, and sometimes it seems like I need to run it first.  You will also find conflicting info on the 'net about this sort of thing.  The last_rule option here is probably not needed, but I left it in there anyhow in case something changes down the road.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#4 2006-10-18 13:01:00

Snarkout

Oh, also note that I use the scsi subsystem because I'm using firewire, not usb.  That rule is also one single line.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

Board footer