You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-03 18:33:56

soloport

Stale Mirror Problems

Have been mirroring 'current', 'extra', 'community', etc., for a while (6 months?) and feeling guilty for using precious rsync.archlinux.org bandwitch, each night.   :oops:

However, whenever I've looked for an alternate mirror, it seems the alternatives are fair-to-horribly stale.  :shock:

How can we (the Arch community of mirroring bandwidth hogs -- otherwise known as: ACMBH) resolve this?

I'd be happy to host a (nightly updated) copy of Arch packages for other ACMBH members.  However, I'd be doing it through a DSL connection (5Mb-down / 512Mb-up <== unfortunately).  So, again, bandwidth would probably be an issue.  (My ISP allows 100Gb/Month x-fer in both directions, so it wouldn't be an issue for my monthly fees; Just an issue for other ACMBH members.) 8)

Is there a way ACMBH could form some sort of matrix? (Note: "The Matrix" references will be preemtively not funny, here.)

For example, if four ACMBH members mirrored from my repository, and each of them openned up their repository to four other ACMBH members, and so on, and so on...  roll

Are there enough interested ACMBH-ers out there for any of this to work?  Any other ideas?

Note: This post was prompted by this morning's mirror attempt that resulted in: "ERROR: Max connections ( 8 ) exceeded. Try back later..." (or similar) at rsync.archlinux.org

#2 2006-10-18 09:05:59

krani1

Re: Stale Mirror Problems

I think a good solution to this problem is to implement a system like the Gentoo team has working.

rsync.archlinux.org would be protected with password, and only the official/aproved mirrors would have acess to synchronize from it....

All other non-mirror guys (or possible mirror-attemping guys) would synchronize from any of the secondary mirrors all over the world, and... if accepted as an official mirror, be granted permission to the master sync with a new password.

Just my 50 cents

Board footer