You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-08 13:05:28

thelonius

Snapshots for making updates revertible

Hello Everybody,

I just introduced me in the Newbie corner.  I've used Arch for about a year now but joined the forum only now, because it arose a question to me.

Looking for a good server distro I *tumbled* over openSUSE Tumbleweed, which has a "Transactional Server" "role" (kind of setup-flavor), which has - so to speak - compulsory snapshots for every package-installation/update.

As a noob I maybe can afford to ask it the *naive* way: is there something comparable to the mentioned Tumbleweed feature for Arch?

Trying to find some answers myself I already found mainly two interesting options in the Tips and Tricks section of the Snapper article, pacupg and snap-pac, the lattter  of which appears to come quite close to the Tumbleweed  transactions. I already have btrfs on my root-partition (and no LVM at all...) so I maybe should just give it a try?

Any warnings, hints, suggestions very welcome!

Regards from Dresden, Thelonius

#2 2022-02-08 16:43:58

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Snapshots for making updates revertible

Not a System Administration issue.  Moved to Arch Discussion.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2022-02-08 19:50:57

mbc

Yes, what you want is snap-pac (and possibly snap-pac-grub if you use GRUB). It creates a snapshot before and after you install or upgrade packages.

#4 2022-02-08 20:10:47

thelonius

mbc wrote:

Yes, what you want is snap-pac (and possibly snap-pac-grub if you use GRUB). It creates a snapshot before and after you install or upgrade packages.

Thank you. I've been struggling to understand the point of the thread linked to in the Tipps and Tricks section and in parallel got a little bit lost trying to understand how Tumbleweed does it. It's late here and I'll continue tomorrow...

#5 2022-02-08 23:00:08

mbc

thelonius wrote:
mbc wrote:

Thank you. I've been struggling to understand the point of the thread linked to in the Tipps and Tricks section and in parallel got a little bit lost trying to understand how Tumbleweed does it. It's late here and I'll continue tomorrow...

You can just install snap-pac and you'll get the functionallity you want right out of the box. You most likely won't even need to configure it, but here's the documentation if you're interested: https://wesbarnett.github.io/snap-pac/c … ation.html

Board footer