You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-18 08:30:58

dninja
Website

recommend me a partition setup and filesystem type

I am buying a 300gb external drive to use for backups. I'm going to split the drive into 150gb for one machine, 100gb for another and 50gb for archiving.

I'm going to use a loopback encrypted filesystem to create files of the sizes above so that the disk is secure if I take it anywhere.

I'd like to know peoples recommendations for whether to use a single partition to put the 3 encrypted files in or whether to use 3 separate partitions.

Next, what filesystem do I use on those partitions? Remember that they will have either 1 or 3 large fixed size files on them, there shouldn't be any fragmentation as I'll create the files and leave them. I'm mostly writing to the files through the loopback to back things up.

I'll just stress, I'm not after the filesystem for inside the encrypted files, I'm after the filesystems for the partitions the encrypted files are sitting on.

#2 2006-10-18 09:01:22

zen_guerrilla

Re: recommend me a partition setup and filesystem type

You could use one single partition split to 3 LVM volumes, enrypted with dm-crypt.
As for the filesystem, I use ext3 on all my Linux system and I highly recommend it.
Have a look at this page on the wiki, http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Using_DM-Crypt for the encryption.
DM-Crypt is better than the loopback solution, give it a try instead.

#3 2006-10-18 09:58:19

dninja
Website

Thanks for that, if I use the DM-crypt on the full partition then I don't need to worry about filesystem for the encrypted files to sit on.

Do you know who wrote the article? I'd like to know about the bit in advanced at the end where he says that he uses a certificate but can also decrypt the file with a password.

#4 2006-10-18 10:35:35

chrismortimore

dninja wrote:

Do you know who wrote the article? I'd like to know about the bit in advanced at the end where he says that he uses a certificate but can also decrypt the file with a password.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?tit … on=history
From this, it was written by "Lowercase"

Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 2x160GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 2x320GB WD Caviar RE, Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M, 512MB PC2700, 60GB IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB

Board footer