You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-13 17:04:37

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Web TU Package Surfer

Whenever I take a look at the TUR list I ask myself: "what are the utilization when not knowing the names and functions of these packages. To add category or short description of the packages would help a lot. How to download directly from the site. Is there a php tool for this kind of work?"
http://xentac.net/~tur/repos.php

I found Weps "<b>Web  Package  Surfer</b>". I did few tests in my local machine and I am quite impressed.... uploading packages into pre-installed categories, type of file, and entering a short description. Good search engine and downloads multiple packages. Easy to modify for TU purpose.
http://www.weps.org/

What do you think.... would it help to maintain the TU packages and friendly user usage?

Markku

#2 2004-03-13 18:43:59

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Web TU Package Surfer

Using something like WebPS, you wouldn't be able to add a TUR to your pacman and would have to install everything (and keep it up to date) by hand.  We wouldn't have to dbs that we have now.

I think giving that up makes the TURs a lot less useful.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-03-13 19:35:24

dp
Website

yes, but as i understood, to have descriptions of the pkgs on the webinterface is wished ... so that you dont need to open PKGBUILD's to read what a pkg is --- like the archlinux.org site that also have descriptions for each pkg

did i understand it right?

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2004-03-13 19:40:41

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I'll think about it.  It's a lot harder of a problem than you think.  Currently the web interface just parses out the package file name.  I don't really want to add a database backend like archlinux.org has, which means I'd have to find and parse every PKGBUILD.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2004-03-14 05:24:53

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Xentac wrote:

Using something like WebPS, you wouldn't be able to add a TUR to your pacman.....

That's true. Also lot of work for one person to add the short description, as you said.

The main point is to find a way to make the TU packages more informative..... keeping the existing TUR system, doesn't stress one person, and user friendly.

What if I/we convert the WebPS into a "Wiki" style of system? No uploading of packages but instead submitting links to TU package FTP (and still can download). Anyone can submit a link, short description, category, and name of TU. When a package is moved to an other TU or to Extra, change the name of TU or delete.

If we want something simpler than WebPS, there is a php script archive site:
http://www.skriptarchiv.com/php/index.php

Markku

#6 2004-03-14 05:53:30

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I fear that things would change so fast that the only people who knew what they should be right now would be the people adding and removing packages (the TUs).  If you proposed it to them and they took to it, I'm sure we could figure out something.

- Blaise Pascal

#7 2004-03-14 08:53:20

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

rasat wrote:

What if I/we convert the WebPS into a "Wiki" style of system? No uploading of packages but instead submitting links to TU package FTP (and still can download).

I sent an e-mail to Aleix Conchillo (author of WebPS) asking how to do. He replied this type of feature will be included in 0.3.0.

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 16:46, Aleix Conchillo wrote:
a new feature is included in weps 0.3.0 (not yet available) in which you can add/update... external links. it works like a url link repository.

Markku

#8 2004-03-17 10:33:57

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Xentac wrote:

(the TUs).  If you proposed it to them and they took to it, I'm sure we could figure out something.

I am sure there is a solution. Before thinking about details, is to find a way to setup the list / database when speaking about 300-400 packages. Here I am not only speaking about TU packages but all incoming. If TU pkgs only then the burden will be on them alone, and that's not fair. For this all user who contributed will have to help.... I am sure they will.

To get started, I have setup one temporary wiki incoming list. It includes around 290 packages but some of the pkgs are missing and also details. I have requested users to help:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=3270

PS.

Aleix Conchillo wrote:
a new feature is included in weps 0.3.0

I got a copy of 0.3 beta from Alex, I think it will do the work.

Markku

#9 2004-03-26 19:10:54

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Arch Incoming Register - database is ready:
http://bliss-solutions.org/archlinux/incoming/index.php

<b>Note:</b>
If anyone is interested to help in the development, all scripts are in "User Contributions Wiki" (experimental).
http://bliss-solutions.org/archlinux/wi … 20Register

Markku

Board footer