You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-13 17:46:30

twiistedkaos

Audio CD's Not burning

I've tried with many different CD burning applications and still have yet to get my audio cd's to burn 100% of the time. I get 5-7 fails cd's before i get 1 to burn an audio cd correctly. I was starting to think that maybe my drive was starting to die, but I can burn data cd's perfectly fine without any EVER failing. Any ideas?

#2 2006-10-18 20:46:09

erosa

Re: Audio CD's Not burning

One thing you may want to check is the mode in which you are burning the CD. For example, usually the best mode for audio is Disc-at-once because it does not introduce a 2 sec gap between tracks. The problem is that some CD burners do not support Disc-at-once. Mine for instance supports Session-at-once instead. Although DAO and SAO are the same according to the cdrecord man page, my burner refuses to use DAO, but will accept SAO and TAO (track-at-once). Track-at-once mode is more likely to work than any other mode.

PS You must really like 12 Stones smile

Oh boy!

#3 2006-10-19 12:37:00

twiistedkaos

erosa wrote:

One thing you may want to check is the mode in which you are burning the CD. For example, usually the best mode for audio is Disc-at-once because it does not introduce a 2 sec gap between tracks. The problem is that some CD burners do not support Disc-at-once. Mine for instance supports Session-at-once instead. Although DAO and SAO are the same according to the cdrecord man page, my burner refuses to use DAO, but will accept SAO and TAO (track-at-once). Track-at-once mode is more likely to work than any other mode.

PS You must really like 12 Stones smile

haha, not really, my music tracker is screwed tongue. Anywho, I've tried both writing modes with the same problem. Audio cd's may / may not burn, it's completely random. Data CD's however burn everytime without and problems.

#4 2006-10-19 12:55:21

Snarkout

You might want to post the logs of a few different failures - other than vague shots in the dark, it's virtually impossible to guess what the issue might be without that sort of info.  IME, this sort of thing is generally caused by buffer underruns or burning at unsupported speeds if it isn't the afore mentioned issue.  I tend to blame crappy/unfriendly media - for instance, I have an entire 100-disc spindle of DVD+-RWs that are *supposed* to be 16x, but if I ever attempt to burn ISOs at over 8x - wahmo!  Coaster.  Data, I can write all day long.  ISOs I can burn at 8x all day long.  Other media, even from the same company, burns fine at 16x - these are Verbatim if that makes any difference.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#5 2006-10-19 16:05:43

chrismortimore

How are you burning the CD?  Are you giving a program a load of MP3s (or similar) and letting it do it?  Are you converting them to PCM and burning them track by track?  Are you manually building the CD image, then burning that once it's ready?

Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 2x160GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 2x320GB WD Caviar RE, Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M, 512MB PC2700, 60GB IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB

Board footer