You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-19 02:35:20

skottish
Forum Fellow

Print to PDF

One of the things that I love about OpenOffice is it's PDF export capability; the fonts come out looking great and the built in bookmark support is priceless. Really useful stuff.

I'm using KDE, and it has a print to PDF option in all of the print dialogs. (I know that this isn't KDE specific, but it is my frame of reference.) The thing is is that the PDFs come out looking pretty terrible. I've read that it's because of bitmap fonts, but I have those turned off. A lot of you have you have seen it: all the fonts come out looking like an amateur poster for a Tim Burton movie. I'd really love to get KOffice, or any other program for that matter, to print quality PDFs.

So, my first question is about the font quality. How do you get Linux to print high quality PDFs? The second question is, how do you get the more advanced PDF features out of Linux. I really want something as close to system wide. Ideally, I would like the print to PDF functionality that's already built in to KDE to produce useful results.

#2 2006-10-20 04:32:35

battra

Re: Print to PDF

Well, I don't know about high-quality and I don't use KDE.  But, you might look at cups-pdf.

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."
- Socrates

Board footer