You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-20 06:56:56

Abecedarian

Transplanting an Arch install from HD to HD

Hey. Old HD is dying, so transferring arch to my considerably bigger one.
I've made logical partitions to house the boot, swap, and root and transferred boot and root. I did mkswap and swapon for the swap partition and changed grub's menu.lst and fstab on the new install. However, it won't boot from it. I flagged it as bootable in fdisk. I tried to use arch's installation disk to install grub. I thought that would do it, but it didn't. What do I have to do to be able to boot off it?

#2 2006-10-20 07:53:48

FUBAR
Website

Re: Transplanting an Arch install from HD to HD

Do you get to the Grub menu? Are your partitions layed out the same way as on the old disk? Maybe you have to adjust the partitionnames. If you used a SATA-disk to replace an IDE-disk, keep in mind the names of your partitions will change from /dev/hda1 to /dev/sda1.

Are both disks installed at the same time? Maybe the computer is still booting from the old disk.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#3 2006-10-20 12:57:36

Snarkout

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#4 2006-10-21 10:48:01

Abecedarian

Thanks! I read that, did a bit of the old 'grub-install /dev/sda'... but then I got the too-familiar

GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB

So I ended up simply installing arch from CD and then 'cp -r --preserve=all /mnt/hdb3/* /mnt/sda7' (good ol' KNOPPIX). Note to self: the preserve option is important for, well, anything to work. Anyway, thanks for the help. Toodles for now.

#5 2006-10-21 11:40:10

FUBAR
Website

Yeah, transplanting a Linux installation is fairly easy as long as you use "cp -a".

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#6 2006-10-21 13:43:09

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

dd:
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/ddcommand.htm

input to output images. You can even do your MBR. Sweet.

Board footer