You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-16 02:19:50

bostoniman
Website

CUPS error in KDE Control Center print manager

I'm trying to configure CUPS for my printer, but when I open the KDE print manager, I get the following error:

cupserror.png

I can't find anything in the error logs to explain this.  How can I fix this?

#2 2006-09-16 10:56:04

detto

Re: CUPS error in KDE Control Center print manager

Do a

/etc/rc.d/cups start

as root and see what u get. If it works add 'cups' to your DAEMONS array in your /etc/rc.conf.
Godd luck,

cheers,
deTTo

#3 2006-09-16 17:06:03

bostoniman
Website

Perhaps I forgot to mention that CUPS is already running and listed as a daemon in /etc/rc.conf.  That's why I'm so confused.

#4 2006-09-16 19:23:39

scarecrow

have you allowed "localhost" to communicate with the print server?
Checkout /var/log/cups/access_log as well as /var/log/cups/error_log
Following that slightly older thread should also prove useful...

Microshaft delenda est

#5 2006-09-25 15:27:06

STiAT

I'm experiencing the same problem with a fresh installed arch 0.7.2

Also after updating the system the error persists.

I can actually use the printer configured by the cups interface (localhost:631).

I've read around a little bit, this error occured first with kde-3.5.2, in combination with cups-1.2.1.

It seems as if there exists a patch by the mephis community, though, havn't found it yet (and don't have any time to look it up right now).

I think it is a problem of the cups/kde combination, less the combination than the configuration interface of KDE.

Also, KDE doesn't recognise all options of the current cups, what seems to be the reason for cups not to work properly. Maybe the module was just not ported by the kde team to the new cups version well, i don't know right now, just can shoot with closed eyes wink.

I might get around tomorrow to take a closer look at this. For now, i have to get home for today.

// STi

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#6 2006-09-25 17:19:33

ralvez
Website

I did an install of O.72 a couple of weeks ago for a friend and had no problems (well other that setting up wifi ... what a pain!!  roll )
I would just make sure that cups is in fact running (just becuase it is in /etc/rc.conf does not mean that it us up ... bad things happen. ;-) ) try "ps -A | cupsd" if it works make sure you are root when configuring the printer in KDE or click on "Administrator Mode" in the configuration panel for the printer.
Also try using http to connect to the printer if you are having problems. It is also conveninet if you add the printer to your /etc/hosts so you can refer to it by "name".

Hope this helps.

R

#7 2006-10-12 10:13:03

STiAT

Don't know how you all could get it running
-> KDE 3.5.5 release notes

CUPS 1.2 support in KDEPrint.

Information Source:
KDE 3.5.4 to 3.5.5 changelog

CUPS 1.2 never was supported by KDEPrint. That's probably also the reason for the error message.
Since KDE 3.5.5 is released it hopefully will not take too long for ARCH to get it into the repo.

// STi

#8 2006-10-13 04:13:37

rosh

First, I have this same problem as the original poster.  The problem exists in KDE and Gnome.  I can access the cups Web front end (localhost:631).  I also updated to KDE 3.5.5 and it still doesn't work with the same problem.  Please let me know what I can post to help.

#9 2006-10-20 08:11:07

STiAT

There is a patch on the web for this. It's already in 3.5_BRANCH, but didn't make the way into 3.5 yet, maybe in the first bugfix-release then.

It sets the m_socket->setTimeout(1) to m_socket->setTimeout(1500) in the kmcupsmanager (line 920)

I'll file a bugreport for this.

Board footer