You are not logged in.

#51 2021-09-11 14:35:15

depau

Re: Various problems with HP Spectre x360 aw2xxxng (Tiger Lake)

Hi people,
For the fingerprint sensor: I reverse-engineered it and wrote a working PoC (it works on my machine, at least). If some of you can test it and report back, that would be awesome.
I requested comment from the libfprint developers on how to proceed with the implementation and I'm currently waiting for a response from ELAN: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libfprin … issues/406

hirnschmalz wrote:

Screen does not rotate in GNOME

If I remember correctly, GNOME 40 only enables on-screen keyboard and rotation if the device is in tablet mode (screen is folded past 180°). Make sure you have iio-sensor-proxy installed. It works well for me.

hirnschmalz wrote:

Unable to boot if a USB device is attached

Don't hold your breath on this but I was planning to try and debug it at some point. It doesn't seem to occur with Windows' bootloader, it always seems to occur with open-source EFI binaries for some reason. It happens with at least GRUB, rEFInd and the mok manager application. My suspect is that their implementation uses some API that the MS bootloader does not, so my idea was to enable logging and somehow trace it. Maybe it's a GNU EFI bug? I haven't tried with boot loaders built with EDK2.

hirnschmalz wrote:

Sound problems are fixed with kernel 5.10

Yes, but the top speakers (located under the keyboard) are still quiet.

#52 2021-09-11 16:12:16

hirnschmalz

Hi everyone,

I just want to come back with some information about the boot problem. Since I only use Arch Linux and don't need multi boot, I decided to give EFISTUB a try. With EFISTUB I don't have the issues while booting with external devices attached.

If I remember correctly, GNOME 40 only enables on-screen keyboard and rotation if the device is in tablet mode (screen is folded past 180°). Make sure you have iio-sensor-proxy installed. It works well for me.

I can't confirm that. I tried to fold the laptop but still no screen rotation. It worked sometimes back (after updating to GNOME 40), but not at the moment. Even on a fresh Arch Linux installation screen roatation is not working.

#53 2021-09-11 23:24:02

depau

hirnschmalz wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just want to come back with some information about the boot problem. Since I only use Arch Linux and don't need multi boot, I decided to give EFISTUB a try. With EFISTUB I don't have the issues while booting with external devices attached.

I can't confirm that. I tried to fold the laptop but still no screen rotation. It worked sometimes back (after updating to GNOME 40), but not at the moment. Even on a fresh Arch Linux installation screen roatation is not working.

Have you installed `iio-sensor-proxy`? Once you install that it should work out of the box after restarting the gnome shell.

You can check with d-feet or whatever d-bus explorer you like whether you have `net.hadess.SensorProxy` exposed in the system bus. You should also be able to find the raw accelerometer data in `/sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device*/in_accel_{x,y,z}_raw`.

#54 2021-09-14 04:29:17

hirnschmalz

Yes, I had iio-sensor-proxy installed. I gave iio-sensor-proxy-git a try today and it worked with that. Maybe this his something to do with the latest BIOS update I installed.

#55 2021-11-24 10:14:12

MajinJoko

Dear all,

this post has been extremely useful for Archlinux installation on my new HP 14-dv0000

Some notes:
- in my case, update to F.11 or F.20 bios does not fix keyboard delay
- missing sound has been fixed installing firmware. I'm not sure which package did the trick, as I installed all of them: alsa-firmware sof-firmware alsa-ucm-conf
- I encountered some trouble with my wifi card, as it disappeared at some point. I suspect it had something to do with Windows (it happens after I booted in windows). A couple of reboot fixed that.

Maybe we can update the wiki to include my HP model?

#56 2021-11-28 00:38:38

MajinJoko

Appending "i8042.nopnp=1 i8042.dumbkbd=1" to kernel boot parameters fixed the keyboard initialization delay. I lost my caps lock led but it was a minor sacrifice.

#57 2022-01-19 22:42:14

clayms

MajinJoko wrote:

Appending "i8042.nopnp=1 i8042.dumbkbd=1" to kernel boot parameters fixed the keyboard initialization delay. I lost my caps lock led but it was a minor sacrifice.

I tried "Appending "i8042.nopnp=1 i8042.dumbkbd=1" to kernel boot parameters," but my keyboard still takes approximately 20 to 30 seconds to start working upon booting or waking. Also, my `caps lock` key light still works.

Specifically, I modified the following line in `/etc/default/grub`

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="loglevel=3 quiet i8042.nopnp=1 i8042.dumbkbd=1"

That and the fingerprint reader doesn't work, but I have not attempted to fix that.

My computer:

-Product-
Name        : HP Laptop 15t-dy200 (Hewlett-Packard, www.hp.com)
Family        : 103C_5335KV HP Notebook (Hewlett-Packard, www.hp.com)
Vendor        : HP (Hewlett-Packard, www.hp.com)

-BIOS-
Date        : 09/08/2021
Vendor        : AMI
Version        : F.14
-Board-
Name        : 87FE
Vendor        : HP (Hewlett-Packard, www.hp.com)
Version        : 57.18

-Input Devices-
Lid Switch
Power Button
Power Button
Wireless hotkeys
Video Bus
PC Speaker
HP WMI hotkeys
ELAN0712:00 04F3:30FD Mouse
ELAN0712:00 04F3:30FD Touchpad
Melfas LGDisplay Incell Touch
HP TrueVision HD Camera: HP Tru
sof-hda-dsp Mic
sof-hda-dsp Headphone
sof-hda-dsp HDMI/DP,pcm:3
sof-hda-dsp HDMI/DP,pcm:4
sof-hda-dsp HDMI/DP,pcm:5
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard

Last edited by clayms (2022-01-19 22:54:29)

#58 2022-01-20 17:30:13

clayms

Correction, adding "i8042.nopnp=1 i8042.dumbkbd=1" did work, I just had to run `grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg` .

Now my keyboard has no initialization delay on boot or wake up.

Thanks

#59 2022-03-07 19:30:28

dathi

depau wrote:

Hi people,
For the fingerprint sensor: I reverse-engineered it and wrote a working PoC (it works on my machine, at least). If some of you can test it and report back, that would be awesome.
I requested comment from the libfprint developers on how to proceed with the implementation and I'm currently waiting for a response from ELAN: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libfprin … issues/406

hirnschmalz wrote:

Screen does not rotate in GNOME

hirnschmalz wrote:

Unable to boot if a USB device is attached

Don't hold your breath on this but I was planning to try and debug it at some point. It doesn't seem to occur with Windows' bootloader, it always seems to occur with open-source EFI binaries for some reason. It happens with at least GRUB, rEFInd and the mok manager application. My suspect is that their implementation uses some API that the MS bootloader does not, so my idea was to enable logging and somehow trace it. Maybe it's a GNU EFI bug? I haven't tried with boot loaders built with EDK2.

hirnschmalz wrote:

Sound problems are fixed with kernel 5.10

Yes, but the top speakers (located under the keyboard) are still quiet.

The USB booting issue is fixed with the new BIOS update! Version F25 on the HP Spectre 14. I can now boot with my mouse receiver plugged in, no hang. This thread has been super helpful.

#60 2022-09-21 23:36:59

Togop

Hello, I have a Tiger Lake x360 with latest kernel. Unfortunately I still need to issue commands like

# hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_DIR 0x01
# hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_MASK 0x01
# hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_DATA 0x01
# hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_DATA 0x00

to get the sound work. I see on the wiki,

The kernel may be patched by updating the quirk list at sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c with the appropriate subdevice ID.

Can someone help me how to actually do that? I believe I can find the device IDs here, but I don't know where in the file they go.

> pacmd list-cards  
1 card(s) available.
    index: 0
	name: <alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic>
	driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
	owner module: 6
	properties:
		alsa.card = "0"
		alsa.card_name = "sof-hda-dsp"
		alsa.long_card_name = "HP-HPSpectrex360Convertible14_ea1xxx--89DB"
		alsa.driver_name = "snd_soc_skl_hda_dsp"
		device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic"
		sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/skl_hda_dsp_generic/sound/card0"
		device.bus = "pci"
		device.vendor.id = "8086"
		device.vendor.name = "Intel Corporation"
		device.product.id = "a0c8"
		device.product.name = "Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller"
		device.string = "0"
		device.description = "Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller"
		module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
		device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
	profiles:
		HiFi: Play HiFi quality Music (priority 40768, available: unknown)
		off: Off (priority 0, available: unknown)
	active profile: <HiFi>
	sinks:
		alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp_5__sink/#0: Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller HDMI / DisplayPort 3 Output
		alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp_4__sink/#1: Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller HDMI / DisplayPort 2 Output
		alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp_3__sink/#2: Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller HDMI / DisplayPort 1 Output
		alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp__sink/#3: Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller Speaker + Headphones
	sources:
		alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp_5__sink.monitor/#0: Monitor of Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller HDMI / DisplayPort 3 Output
		alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp_4__sink.monitor/#1: Monitor of Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller HDMI / DisplayPort 2 Output
		alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp_3__sink.monitor/#2: Monitor of Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller HDMI / DisplayPort 1 Output
		alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp__sink.monitor/#3: Monitor of Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller Speaker + Headphones
		alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp__source/#4: Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller Headphones Stereo Microphone
		alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1f.3-platform-skl_hda_dsp_generic.HiFi__hw_sofhdadsp_6__source/#5: Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller Digital Microphone
	ports:
		[Out] HDMI3: HDMI / DisplayPort 3 Output (priority 700, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
			properties:

[Out] HDMI2: HDMI / DisplayPort 2 Output (priority 600, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
			properties:

[Out] HDMI1: HDMI / DisplayPort 1 Output (priority 500, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
			properties:

[Out] Speaker: Speaker (priority 100, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown)
			properties:

[Out] Headphones: Headphones (priority 200, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
			properties:

[In] Mic2: Headphones Stereo Microphone (priority 200, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
			properties:

[In] Mic1: Digital Microphone (priority 100, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown)
			properties:

Board footer