You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-13 23:34:51

macros78

Has anyone Dell Inspiron E1505 or 6400?

Hi,

I would like to know who runs Arch on this laptop an d if everything is working.

I have mine with Core Duo T2300, Intel GMA 950 and Dell Wireless 1390 and the rest is just common: SATA harddrive, 8X CD/DVD Burner, card reader....

With Ubuntu everything worked without any effort. Installed Arch few days ago and right now I am amazed by the speed, but got some small issues. After I managed xorg and wifi to work, everything seems quite good, except card reader.

Can anyone help with built in card reader?

Thank you! wink

#2 2006-10-20 18:33:13

SoulN0thing

Re: Has anyone Dell Inspiron E1505 or 6400?

Overall things work just fine, on my end, the only thing i have not gotten to work is suspend or hiberate.
(worked under both gentoo and ubuntu though)

As to the card reader, i havent seen a guide that has gotten it to work. Put in a media card and see what dmesg says.

The other recommendation i have is put pcspkr, in the blacklist modules, and modules not to load, that pcspkr can be quite loud, and can be a disturbance.

My difference from your laptop
x1300
ipw3945

I have a nine cell and am getting about 4 hours and 30 minutes, windows gave me around 5 and a half hours though.

#3 2006-10-20 20:45:02

macros78

Re: Has anyone Dell Inspiron E1505 or 6400?

Yes I know abot pcspkr module. That beeb just made me crazy sometimes so now the the module is blacklisted and everything is quiet.  smile

I have just 6 cell battery and it's life is equal in both windows and linux. But I use to spend about 90% of time in linux so it's hard to compare. So I have about 3 hours with wifi on, while surfing the web, editing documents and listening to some music. Right now I do nothing special to preserve the battery life, just reduce the cpu speed. But I want sleep and swsusp2 working, because when I close the lid and then open, the screen remain black. sad

The strange thing about card reader is that when I put the card into the reader dmesg is quiet. As nothing happened. And I have modules loaded.

But I am about to build my custom kernel and install some missing stuff.... smile

BTW card reader worked in ubuntu just fine. Tested with SD and MMC cards...

Board footer