You are not logged in.

#1 2003-02-03 09:32:30

nehsa

Sound is not working correctly

I sound works after using the answers posted in these forums but I have a few additional questions.  When I type dmesg it lists:

Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.21, 00:03:43 Feb  1 2003
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:02.7
i810: SiS 7012 found at IO 0xd800 and 0xdc00, IRQ 11
i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 2 channels.
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: ALC38(Unknown)
i810_audio: only 48Khz playback available.
i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 supports AMAP, total channels = 2

This doesn't seem very good.. XMMS works perfectly but sound things I've tried have returned errors saying that 44khz playback is not availble.  Do I need to do something more to get the full use of my sound card? 

Would configuring Esound and/or ALSA help?  Can't seem to even find out what the difference is.. smile

#2 2003-02-04 01:55:17

BluPhoenyx

Re: Sound is not working correctly

IMHO, the AC97 system supplied on most motherboards would be best left off of them. Ok, they work for standard sound purposes but they are not the best systems and some people tend to be misled because they are integrated.

I think you may be stuck at the 48 khz only playback. However, you may still get better support with ALSA. OSS is an easy setup for many sound systems but often behind in features.

BluPhoenyx

#3 2003-02-07 14:41:07

nehsa

I remember when I started Mandrake I get a STARTING ALSA message at startup but the only thing I can find in Archlinux is /usr/bin/alsamixer.  In Mandrake my soundcard worked much better, can't even play 2 sounds at one in archlinux (ie, if I have XMMS going then I can't hear when someone MSG's me).  All I've done so far is selected my soundcard in the kernel (did not check the OSS sound modules option) and followed the instructions posted here for setting up devfsd.conf.

Thanks

#4 2003-02-07 15:19:05

sarah31
Website

well unless you use arts or (maybe) esd you will not get two sounds at once only those apps will allow multiple signals from your soundcard.

i dunno about the rest of your problems though i have excellent play back with my onboard souncards. all i use is alsa and have a bunch of module loading and chown commands in rc.local to enable everything.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2003-02-07 15:23:58

Rouslan

Well, as the official documatation states, the Archlinux is for more or less advanced users, and if you're not one, we will make you one wink
First of all, if you compiled your sound as modules, try putting this in your rc.local:

stat_busy "Activating Sound"
    /sbin/modprobe your_sound_module
    /sbin/modprobe other_sound_module
    /sbin/modprobe yet_other_sound_module
stat_done

Change your_sound_module stuff to your module names as you configured in the kernel, of course.
Second: in order to have two or more sound apps working at the same time, you need some kind of sound server. For default one (esd), uncomment esd in /etc/rc.local (remove ! before it) . After that, you'll have to configure your sound apps to use esd. I know that this is extremely easy with xmms and xine, dunno about others. I do not use esd, because my favorite games (quake3 and half-life) require direct access to /dev/dsp.

And remember: nobody blames for asking 8)

Rouslan

#6 2003-02-07 15:26:21

nehsa

Maybe this should move into newbies.. smile  I don't understand what alsa is.. I've choosen my soundcard in the kernel and I have the alsa packages installed.  I have done nothing with them though so as far as I know they are not running and I am not using alsa. 

Should I be starting alsa in some way or does it sound like I'm good?

#7 2003-02-07 15:26:51

Rouslan

sarah31 wrote:

... and have a bunch of module loading and chown commands in rc.local ...

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=1824 wink

Rouslan

Board footer