You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-10 08:57:18

z4ziggy
Website

enabling shutdown options on KDE with no KDM

ive googled and tried my best, but couldnt find a solution for that - is there any way to allow shutdown/restart options from KDE without using KDM(/GDM/XDM/etc)? on xfce, to enable the shutdown options all that was needed was sudo. but for KDE its not enough... any ideas?

#2 2006-10-10 16:38:59

somairotevoli

Re: enabling shutdown options on KDE with no KDM

I just use run. ALT+F2 reboot/halt

#3 2006-10-11 18:22:09

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

I used that for a short time, but found it had the same effect on KDE as ctrl-alt-backspace (kill X11) .
KDE is not shutdown clean that way.

I just use logout, end session and then reboot/poweroff/halt from console.

Edit : if this is for a livecd, shutting down clean may not be a problem.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2006-10-11 20:47:55

z4ziggy
Website

ofcourse loggin-off and then issuing a powerdown is not a problem (nor does alt-f2 and executing shutdown) but i would like to know if there is a way to make the kde shutdown dialog to work... is it so much to ask? on my googling, i found out someone was playing with /etc/pam.d/{shutdown,halt,reboot} stuff, but i couldnt figure out exactly, and im not sure he actually got it to work.

and yes, its for a live cd. if nothing will work, i'll probably use kdm, but i would really love to avoid this.

Thanks in advance.

#5 2006-10-12 13:42:12

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

I've done  a quick check on knoppix , and they seem to use kdm with autologin to get shutdown options also.

Maybe you should submit a feature/bug request on the KDE  site ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#6 2006-10-12 13:48:32

z4ziggy
Website

from my investigations all live cd's are using kdm to allow shutdown. i know using kdm is more standard (and thus allowing autologin automatically, etc) but i dont like the idea of having to use something i dont like to get something which should be a default behavior. I might send a request to the kde guys as you suggested if nothing turns up...

#7 2006-10-14 10:36:52

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

I may have found the answer.
It seems KDE people see shutdown as having to do with shutting down the whole system, and that is only possible through kdm. However, what we were looking for is what they call logout , not shutdown.

a search on 'logout kde from command line' led me to this KDE Wiki / Tips and Tricks : You can do more dcop magic

It seems that logging out from cli is simple by using dcop commands.

#8 2006-10-16 06:09:11

gradgrind

I haven't found a way either, that's why I added a shutdown icon + dialogue to the KDE version of larch - which then calls halt/reboot. But, as mentioned above, this may be a bit too 'violent' (if using session-saving). I also didn't want to use kdm becasue it's a pain when X11 doesn't work (which can happen when booting from live CD). It would be great if the standard logout menu could be made to have it's kdm behaviour even when kdm is not running, though.

@Lone_Wolf: That seems to be just about quitting the session, it is the shutdown possibility that is interesting.

Would kshutdown be any use (kshutdown.sf.net)?
I might give it a try sometime.

#9 2006-10-16 17:57:06

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

@gradgrind : my feeling was that by putting the dcop command in a script together with shutdown/reboot the goal of shutting down clean would be achieved, although it's a bit of a dirty hack.

Kshutdown may be just what we need  for this, and there's already  a package for it in  AUR

#10 2006-10-16 18:11:43

gradgrind

@Lone_Wolf: Ahhh! Now I understand what you meant. I guess that method might be worth considering.

#11 2006-10-21 08:12:06

z4ziggy
Website

Lone_Wolf:
Actually, i _am_ looking for shutting down the all system - this is what the shutdown option in kde logout dialog allows you to. when using kdm, you can restart (system), shutdown (system), logout (session). without kdm, only logout is allowed, which is not enough, mainly for a live cd user who most likely would like to restart his system (or at least shutdown...).
Since i dislike the idea of having an icon on the desktop todo the shutdown, i might make an icon on the traybar, but i really think that the shutdown/restart should be part of the kde-desktop and not kdm. imho though...

[edit]on a second thought, maybe i'll just use kdm and thats it. i dont have the time nor energy to play with this stuff any longer. [/edit]

Board footer