You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-22 10:08:32

rep_movsd

Installing dual boot for 2 Arch instances without a bootable USB

I've been using Arch exclusively for about 8 years now

The biggest issue has been the nvidia driver, which never let me have proper video acceleration, and in general was less stable. I was unable to upgrade my kernel since 5.12.9
I have a pretty old but powerful laptop and can't afford to switch to a Radeon based one right now.

Trying to get nvidia + latest kernel to work in December 2021, caused a hard hang, and when I forced poweroff,  my home directory got borked.
Luckily I had a backup from two months before, but I lost some important data.

I want to fix this issue, but cant keep mucking around with my primary install - so I want to install a separate pristine Arch on a separate hard disk
Is it possible to do this without making a bootable USB etc?
I'm sure the initial installation part until the first reboot should be able to work without needing a USB boot stick?

Thanks in advance

#2 2022-03-22 10:23:36

Lone_Wolf

Re: Installing dual boot for 2 Arch instances without a bootable USB

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2022-03-22 20:55:20

j.zelinka

Re: Installing dual boot for 2 Arch instances without a bootable USB

I am not sure about the current state of your system from your description of the situation. If it is possible tu run the ArchLinux, you can install new instance to free partition using standard system tools and package arch-install-scripts.

I highly recommend to use a separate partition for important data, especially the /home directory.

JZ

Board footer