You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-25 05:15:05

sora2

[SOLVED] Can't access bios or any shell after arch installation

I wish I had more information to give, but I quite literally can't even boot into a live usb or a shell at the moment. I put a zfs file system onto an m.2 ssd, and then installed arch on it. I was able to import and export the zfs pools without any issue before the reboot, and when installing grub the only error messages I got were in relation to the bugs listed on the arch wiki, and when I used the workarounds listed there everything installed without a hitch. Do the reboot, and now my computer just boots to a black screen and doesn't respond to anything, no beeps either. I've tried pressing shift, esc, c, etc. to see if it was just a really messed up grub installation but that didn't bring up anything. I've tried smashing all of my f keys (particularly f12 for the one time boot for a live usb) but that also didn't do anything. My keyboard gets powered on for like half a second at startup and then immediately loses power, even though the screen gets output (an output of nothing anyways). Any idea on how to go about this, because without at least access to the bios or a shell I've got zero, mostly just shocked that I managed to mess up this badly despite everything seeming like it was going well

Last edited by sora2 (2022-03-25 10:12:35)

#2 2022-03-25 08:39:32

d_fajardo

Re: [SOLVED] Can't access bios or any shell after arch installation

If you are not getting the usual beeps that means the machine is failing POST (Power On Self Test) and if you can't get to the BIOS, then this is sounding like a hardware problem. This might actually doesn't have any bearing with what you did previously and might just be a coincidence that the hardware failed after doing something you thought triggered it.
Since you're not getting any POST and not being able to access the BIOS, this seems to point to the motherboard. This doesn't look like your own doing because the way you described what you did shouldn't really affect your POST and BIOS, and with your keyboard quitting almost immediately, it's looking like your MB is not getting power through which could be a problem with its power phase or voltage regulator.

#3 2022-03-25 10:10:35

sora2

Re: [SOLVED] Can't access bios or any shell after arch installation

d_fajardo wrote:

If you are not getting the usual beeps that means the machine is failing POST (Power On Self Test) and if you can't get to the BIOS, then this is sounding like a hardware problem. This might actually doesn't have any bearing with what you did previously and might just be a coincidence that the hardware failed after doing something you thought triggered it.
Since you're not getting any POST and not being able to access the BIOS, this seems to point to the motherboard. This doesn't look like your own doing because the way you described what you did shouldn't really affect your POST and BIOS, and with your keyboard quitting almost immediately, it's looking like your MB is not getting power through which could be a problem with its power phase or voltage regulator.

Thank you for the advice about the power supply, this is a brand new computer so I didn't suspect that the hardware would be broken, the very old surge protector that's been in my room for years now it was connected to though... that was a different story. Boots up fine now. I took the opportunity to grab a random live usb installer and another drive I had lying around so I could at least having a working desktop for the time being, and when it booted into grub I found out apparently the windows boot manager is pointing to the drive I put arch onto??? Power issues aside clearly I messed up somewhere when installing grub, but at the very least my computer works now, so thank you for that. Sometimes you need a calmer point of view when you're panicking a bit

Last edited by sora2 (2022-03-25 10:11:19)

Board footer