You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-19 03:48:13

Bjørn
Website

Savage AGP problems: no textures?

Recently I read about people playing Savage, and it seems like a very fun game from the website. Thus, I downloaded and installed the demo, but textures are not working. After starting the game it complains about not being able to write to AGP memory and something about agpgart.

Now Tuxracer, Trackball and Half Life through Wine are already working fine and I have a dynamic link to /dev/misc/agpgart as /dev/agpgart. For my laptop intel card I needed to load the agpgart, intel_agp and i830 modules.

Savage is unplayable because all the textures except for the fonts are grey. Did anybody else have this problem, or would anybody have a clue on how to solve this problem?

Thanks!

http://themanaworld.org/
A Free Real-time Massively Multiplayer Online RPG in development.

#2 2004-03-23 19:55:30

MNKyDeth

Re: Savage AGP problems: no textures?

I don't think an onboard Intel vid chip is gonna cut it for Savage. They don't use software rendering for there game. Minimum vid card requirements are Geforce or radeon, but since this is linux I would say Geforce minimum. Recommended is a GF4ti or better.

I can only get this same error if my nvidia drivers are not installed.

So basically you need a better vid card + drivers I would say.

#3 2004-03-25 17:06:56

Bjørn
Website

Ah, that's too bad then. It didn't look very graphically demanding from the screenshots, but alas.

Today I enlarged my WinXP partition a bit to be able to install more games. I'll try Savage there before I totally give up. At least UT performed way better in WinXP for me.

#4 2004-03-27 16:01:42

Bjørn
Website

Ok... playable in WinXP but not enough FPS for my liking. It doesn't seem all that fun either. Oh well. smile

#5 2004-03-30 00:03:23

Echo1

Good fps makes a big difference in Savage and it is a game that takes a little time to get use to as it is a stratagy ( warcraft)  and First person shooter cross.
A lot depends on your commander, if both are good the game is great, the tide of war slipping one way then the other, if both are matched the game is good. If the commander are unmatched the game is boring for both sides. For starting out big games where better for me, they last longer and give you time to build up your character.  But in gaming is a personal thing.

#6 2004-04-16 03:39:10

blitze

Bjørn wrote:

Ok... playable in WinXP but not enough FPS for my liking. It doesn't seem all that fun either. Oh well. smile

Hi,  had no problems with the Demo install and the updater worked easily.  Running on a MP AMD system with a Nvidia Ti4400 and it runs fine at 1280x1024 with high graphics detail and extras.  The Demo apparently is quite lame compared to the actual game and my girlfriend got pissed when she foundout you have to kill animals to obtain money for weapons upgrades.  She was in a huff all last night over it  big_smile

Both UT2004 and Savage run very well for me on Linux.  Now about that joystick config for Point2Play and Il2 FB?  I do like the tactical nature of it compared to UT2004 sorta reminds me of Giants but without the comedy.

Leave ones footprint not in the physical world but the in the world of the mind.

Board footer