You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-02 17:35:31

carlez

MSI Prestige 14 screen not recognized

Archlinux stop recognize my laptop screen.
If I connect the laptop to an external monitor all works fine but the laptop screen is not recognized.
How can I solve the issue?

#2 2022-04-02 17:53:21

ewaller
Administrator

Re: MSI Prestige 14 screen not recognized

I have a hunch that English may not be your native language.  You say 'stop' -- Does that imply it used to work?

What desktop environment are you trying to use?   During boot, is anything displayed?  How about pre-boot? Any messages or logos?  Does the system make beeping sounds when starting?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2022-04-03 09:27:38

carlez

ewaller wrote:

I have a hunch that English may not be your native language.  You say 'stop' -- Does that imply it used to work?

What desktop environment are you trying to use?   During boot, is anything displayed?  How about pre-boot? Any messages or logos?  Does the system make beeping sounds when starting?

Hi ewaller, thank you for your response.
The screen use to work.
I tried Windows 10/11, Debian 11 and Fedora 35.
This problem happens only with Arch.
The screen sometimes works and sometimes not.
It's apparently randomly.
I use gnome as desktop environment.
When I press the power putton the screen does not power on, is totally black.
If I attach the external screen the operating system is loaded fine.
In the gnome settings there is only the external screen so I assume that the laptop screen is not recognized.
A temporary fix I found in the past was to press the ESC key during boot, enter bios, save and reboot.
After that operation the screen power on, but that does not works anymore.

Which log can I watch?

#4 2022-04-03 15:51:54

ewaller
Administrator

journalctl -b would be the log to read.  Note that I did not mention logs (I should have), I said 'logos'  -- a picture identifying the brand of the manufacturer.  I am trying to figure out whether the extent to which the display is working.

Try this, when it is not working, darken the room and light the screen at a low angle from the side with a flashlight (torch).  See if there is an image on the screen.  This is checking whether it is a back light problem by forcing the LCD panel to operate in reflective mode rather than transmissive mode (Assuming, of course, this is not an OLED panel)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer