You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-05 07:40:09

tallero

Abandonware packages linking to Archive.org resources

Some days ago I learned Archive.org got his DMCA exemption for videogames extended for another three years and after I noticed they're hosting the whole PlayStation catalogue as well as many DOS and Amiga games, I decided it was time to finally convert the most played games from my legitimately produced ripped roms collection in standard archlinux packages complete of proper desktop launchers and predefined controller configurations so that I don't have to configure a psx emulator in my life ever again.

So, you would say "great, have you then uploaded your work to the AUR?" and I would answer "yes, of course, so that all of you can benefit from it" but then probably someone would ask "wait, did you upload the games' images too?" and I would answer "of course I did not upload anything I don't have copyright rights on, but I kept urls from archive.org as sources for those games inside the PKGBUILDs".

So basically I'm here to ask if it's legal to AUR-distribute PKGBUILDs having URIs in the source array pointing to copyrighted works legally hosted on Archive.org due to the DMCA exemption.

#2 2022-03-05 14:26:50

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Re: Abandonware packages linking to Archive.org resources

The AUR doesn't host any files, so unless the source URI is linking to obvious malicious things like malware, then it's fine. (See e.g. the long series of AUR deletion requests for certain minecraft launchers, which have consistently been denied).

The above is clearly not binding legal advice, just how things have worked out over time.

Last edited by Alad (2022-03-05 14:28:20)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#3 2022-04-08 06:44:43

tallero

Ainola sent a deletion request for

crash-bandicoot-2

and

donkey-kong-country-returns

. Would be cool to discuss it here (as asked on the package page).

I want to stress how the packages I sent work flawlessly and they convey a better user experience than anything I've tried beyond the PsOne, and I can go as far as integrating controller configuration profiles directly into the package files.

Last edited by tallero (2022-04-08 10:23:36)

#4 2022-04-08 11:44:33

Lone_Wolf

looks like Ainola is a TU and accepted a deletion request for donkey-kong-country-returns .
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/a … 69659.html

I don't see a deletion reques for crash-bandicoot though.

I am not a lawyer but the AUR is hosted in germany and many aur users are not from USA which makes it imo questionable if the DMCA applies at all.

Not sure where this should be discussed, in the past aur general ML was the correct place.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2022-04-09 11:39:33

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Yes, start a discussion on aur-general. Looks like it was accepted without the TU checking if the request was valid.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

Board footer