You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-22 20:39:19

mdk
Website

Archlinux cd - xfs broken? [SOLVED]

Hello, I think there is something missing from the installation/base archlinux CD in terms of XFS. Here is the story:

I recently run pacman -Syu and my kernel got upgraded (to 2.6.18.1-2 from current). Unfortunately, I forgot to run lilo after that. My system got borken on next reboot (unable to mount root XFS partition, "no syncing" problem).

So I pushed in the archlinux installation/rescue CD, and tried to mount my root filesystem. Unfortunately, it seems it's impossible to mount XFS partitions from the installation cd (mount complains about "Invalid argument"). Other xfs_* utilities don't work either, compaining about missing getopts and xfs_db.

Eventually I managed to get my system working by running the Fedora Core 5 rescue CD that somebody had in the office. From the command line I did:

mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/test
chroot /mnt/test/
lilo

...but still, I'm not sure why that was not possible from the arch CD (0.7.2 version).

MDK
Open Source Software Operations/Nokia
michael.kostrzewa (at) nokia.com

#2 2006-10-22 20:43:37

brazzmonkey

Re: Archlinux cd - xfs broken? [SOLVED]

when booting on arch cd, you need to modprobe xfs to be able to read an xfs filesystem. xfs_repair works. xfs_check gives weird output, it's true.

what goes up must come down

#3 2006-10-22 20:47:21

mdk
Website

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback.

MDK
Open Source Software Operations/Nokia
michael.kostrzewa (at) nokia.com

#4 2006-10-22 21:04:04

brazzmonkey

glad i could help.

what goes up must come down

Board footer