You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-17 01:37:17

hypermegachi

swap partition screwed up after resuming from a hibernate

i have kernel26suspend2 installed.  i didn't touch any of the config files or anything.

i go into a terminal with X running, and run hibernate as root (doesn't work as regular user, and haven't really looked into that yet).

it goes to a black screen and says dumping to cache, blah blah blah, and then the laptop turns off.

i turn it back on, and initcpio starts loading, and suspend2 finds a pre-existing image, so it loads it.

all that works properly.

however, my swap partition is no longer mounted anymore, and if i try to use swapon it gives me an invalid argument error.  if i issue mkswap, and then swapon, it works again.

any ideas?  thanks in advance.

#2 2006-10-17 08:55:46

brain0
Developer

Re: swap partition screwed up after resuming from a hibernate

hypermegachi wrote:

i go into a terminal with X running, and run hibernate as root (doesn't work as regular user, and haven't really looked into that yet).

Use sudo, or even sudo with NOPASSWD.

however, my swap partition is no longer mounted anymore, and if i try to use swapon it gives me an invalid argument error.  if i issue mkswap, and then swapon, it works again.

I haven't used the swapwriter in a while, but it always reset the swap signature correctly for me. What's your kernel commandline?

#3 2006-10-20 16:52:36

hypermegachi

ok, i tried it again, and now i can't even get it to resume no more (with or without sudo)  sad

it dumps all the stuff into the swap, shuts the computer off, but now on reboot it doesn't see an image, so it proceeds to load everything up.  the swap file is still messed up tho...

here's my grub entry:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz26suspend2 root=/dev/hda8 ro vga=791 acpi=noirq init=/sbin/bootchartd resume2=swap:/dev/hda7

#4 2006-10-20 23:28:55

cougar

Did you add the good hook to your mkinitcpio.conf ?

#5 2006-10-22 22:18:46

hypermegachi

cougar wrote:

Did you add the good hook to your mkinitcpio.conf ?

yeah, that fixed the resuming problem....there was a kernel upgrade and it used the conf in /etc instead of /boot.

it appears to have just rebooted with swap working...so maybe that update fixed it.

Board footer