You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-14 20:31:58

ranixon

(LUKS + BTRFS + subvolumes)Can't mount root partition in fresh install

Solved, see here

I bought a new SSD so I wanted to install Arch Linux with full disk encryption. In simple words, I wanted to use BTRFS with subvolumes inside LUKS, boot with system-boot with a unified kernel images, dualbooting with Windows 10, and enable secure boot. When I finished the Arch Linux install and rebooted I had this error:

:: running early hook [udev]
starting version 250.4-2-arch
:: runing hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...
:: runing hook [encrypt]
ERROR: device '' not found. Skipping fsck.
:: mounting '' on real root
mount: /new_root: no filesystem type specified.
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't acces tty; job control turned off
[rootfs]#

I can access the encrypted partition and see al the files of the instalation without problems, opening it with:

# cryptsetup open /dev/sda4 root

And mounting the subvolume with:

# mount -o compress=zstd,subvol=@ /dev/mapper/root /mnt

Windows 10 and systemd-boot works without problems.

I based my install from the instalation guide from the Arch Wiki. For the disk encryption with LUKS and BTRFS subvolumes, I follewed this article with some differences. I didn't make a swap partition, instead a subvolume with a swapfile; and used systemd-boot instanead of GRUB2. So I only made one partition in LUKS.

/dev/sda
├─sda1 ESP
├─sda2 16MB Windows reserved partition
├─sda3 Windows 10
└─sda4 LUKS

I created the partition with fdisk and formated it using:

# cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sda4

For the btrfs partitions and sobvolumes I used this layout like the previous mencioned article says but using an extra @swap subvolumes for the swapfile

subvol
├─@
├─@home
├─@snapshots
├─@pacman_pkg
├─@var_abs
├─@var_tmp
├─@srv
└─@swap

Mounted with:

# mount -o compress=zstd,subvol=@ /dev/mapper/root /mnt

In mkinitcpio I added this configuration:

MODULES=(hid_generic ohci_pci usbhid)
HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck encrypt)

My linux-zen.preset based in this article is:

# mkinitcpio preset file for the 'linux-zen' package

ALL_config="/etc/mkinitcpio.conf"
ALL_kver="/boot/vmlinuz-linux-zen"
ALL_microcode=(/boot/intel-ucode.img)

PRESETS=('default' 'fallback')

#default_config="/etc/mkinitcpio.conf"
default_image="/boot/initramfs-linux-zen.img"
default_efi_image="/efi/EFI/Linux/archlinux-linux-zen.efi"
default_options="--splash /usr/share/systemd/bootctl/splash-arch.bmp"

#fallback_config="/etc/mkinitcpio.conf"
fallback_image="/boot/initramfs-linux-zen-fallback.img"
fallback_efi_image="/efi/EFI/Linux/archlinux-linux-zen-fallback.efi"
fallback_options="-S autodetect --splash /usr/share/systemd/bootctl/splash-arch.bmp"

In /boot I have:

initramfs-linux-zen.img initramfs-linux-zen-fallback.img intel-ucode.img vmlinuz-linux-zen

In /efi/EFI/Linux:

archlinux-linux-zen.efi archlinux-linux-zen-fallback.efi

My fstab is:

# Static information about the filesystems.
# See fstab(5) for details.

# <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# /dev/mapper/root LABEL=root
UUID=95ba47aa-d1f5-43b2-b866-4a531d7c5512	/         	btrfs     	rw,relatime,compress=zstd:3,ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=256,subvol=/@	0 0

# /dev/sda1
UUID=F05F-0D7D      	/efi      	vfat      	rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro	0 2

UUID=95ba47aa-d1f5-43b2-b866-4a531d7c5512	/home     	btrfs     	rw,relatime,compress=zstd:3,ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=257,subvol=/@home	0 0

UUID=95ba47aa-d1f5-43b2-b866-4a531d7c5512	/srv      	btrfs     	rw,relatime,compress=zstd:3,ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=264,subvol=/@srv	0 0

UUID=95ba47aa-d1f5-43b2-b866-4a531d7c5512	/var/tmp  	btrfs     	rw,relatime,compress=zstd:3,ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=263,subvol=/@var_tmp	0 0

UUID=95ba47aa-d1f5-43b2-b866-4a531d7c5512	/var/abs  	btrfs     	rw,relatime,compress=zstd:3,ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=262,subvol=/@var_abs	0 0

UUID=95ba47aa-d1f5-43b2-b866-4a531d7c5512	/var/cache/pacman/pkg	btrfs     	rw,relatime,compress=zstd:3,ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=261,subvol=/@pacman_pkg	0 0

UUID=95ba47aa-d1f5-43b2-b866-4a531d7c5512	/.snapshots	btrfs     	rw,relatime,compress=zstd:3,ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=258,subvol=/@snapshots	0 0

UUID=95ba47aa-d1f5-43b2-b866-4a531d7c5512	/.swap    	btrfs     	rw,relatime,compress=zstd:3,ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=260,subvol=/@swap	0 0

/.swap/swapfile     	none      	swap      	defaults  	0 0

With pacstrap I installed

# pacstrap /mnt base base-devel linux-zen linux-firmware btrfs-progs ntfs-3g intel-ucode networkmanager vim man-db manpages texinfo cryptsetup

I sure that I missed some step or write something wrong, but I have no idea where.

Last edited by ranixon (2022-04-18 20:24:23)

#2 2022-04-14 20:44:02

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: (LUKS + BTRFS + subvolumes)Can't mount root partition in fresh install

And the kernel command line you configured for the unified image?

#3 2022-04-14 20:46:06

damjan

what's your kernel command line?

make sure to check `mkinitcpio --hookhelp encrypt` and if you buld unified images, check the `--cmdline` option.

#4 2022-04-14 21:04:17

ranixon

My cmdline

/etc/kernel/cmdline

initrd=\arch\boot\intel-ucode.img initrd=\arch\boot\amd-ucode.img initrd=\arch\boot\x86_64\initramfs-linux.img archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_202204
rw

#5 2022-04-14 21:44:15

Raynman

That looks like the cmdline for the installation medium. The wiki page does say to copy the current cmdline (from /proc) to that file, but that's probably because it assumes the reader is converting an existing install to a unified image setup, while you tried to do it during the initial install.

IIUC you shouldn't need the initrd parameter with unified images and anything starting with archiso is specific to the installation medium (so that only leaves rw). You need to add the "root" parameter (currently empty, as seen in "device '' not found") and more for btrfs and the encrypt hook:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-cry … crypt_hook
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Btrfs# … me_as_root

#6 2022-04-14 23:23:56

ranixon

Raynman wrote:

That looks like the cmdline for the installation medium. The wiki page does say to copy the current cmdline (from /proc) to that file, but that's probably because it assumes the reader is converting an existing install to a unified image setup, while you tried to do it during the initial install.

IIUC you shouldn't need the initrd parameter with unified images and anything starting with archiso is specific to the installation medium (so that only leaves rw). You need to add the "root" parameter (currently empty, as seen in "device '' not found") and more for btrfs and the encrypt hook:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-cry … crypt_hook
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Btrfs# … me_as_root

Thank you, now I have an other problem. Probably an other miss configuration. It boots, ask for my key and then i have this error:

Name "/dev/mapper/root" invalid. It contains "/"

cmdline

rootflags=subvol=@ cryptdevice=/dev/sda4:/dev/mapper/root rw

#7 2022-04-14 23:32:41

Slithery
Administrator

ranixon wrote:
HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck encrypt)

You need to have the encrypt hook between block and filesystems. The block device needs decrypted before the filesystems can be accessed...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-cry … mkinitcpio

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#8 2022-04-14 23:49:14

ranixon

Slithery wrote:

You need to have the encrypt hook between block and filesystems. The block device needs decrypted before the filesystems can be accessed...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-cry … mkinitcpio

Changed it, used mkinitcpio -P and still having the same error:

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block keymap encrypt filesystems keyboard fsck )

#9 2022-04-14 23:56:16

Slithery
Administrator

Post your bootloader configs as well as the output of...

lsblk -f

once you've decrypted the volume.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#10 2022-04-15 00:06:16

ranixon

Slithery wrote:

Post your bootloader configs.

systemd-boot:

loader.conf
timeout 3
console-mode keep
autoentries yes
autofirmware yes
editor no
linux-zen.preset
# mkinitcpio preset file for the 'linux-zen' package

ALL_config="/etc/mkinitcpio.conf"
ALL_kver="/boot/vmlinuz-linux-zen"
ALL_microcode=(/boot/intel-ucode.img)

PRESETS=('default' 'fallback')

#default_config="/etc/mkinitcpio.conf"
default_image="/boot/initramfs-linux-zen.img"
default_efi_image="/efi/EFI/Linux/archlinux-linux-zen.efi"
default_options="--splash /usr/share/systemd/bootctl/splash-arch.bmp"

#fallback_config="/etc/mkinitcpio.conf"
fallback_image="/boot/initramfs-linux-zen-fallback.img"
fallback_efi_image="/efi/EFI/Linux/archlinux-linux-zen-fallback.efi"
fallback_options="-S autodetect --splash /usr/share/systemd/bootctl/splash-arch.bmp"

Any other config is in default.

#11 2022-04-15 01:38:01

ranixon

Slithery wrote:

Post your bootloader configs as well as the output of...

lsblk -f

once you've decrypted the volume.

Using arch-chroot, I don't mounted all the partitions, should I?

NAME       FSTYPE      FSVER            LABEL       UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
loop0      squashfs    4.0                                                                              
sda                                                                                                     
├─sda1     vfat        FAT32                        F05F-0D7D                             405.6M    21% /efi
├─sda2                                                                                                  
├─sda3     ntfs                         Sistema     78267C9E267C5F56                                    
└─sda4     crypto_LUKS 2                            036cc3d8-c0c7-477a-8eec-1a591e224bd3                
  └─root   btrfs                        root        95ba47aa-d1f5-43b2-b866-4a531d7c5512  236.6G     7% /
sdb                                                                                                     
├─sdb1     exfat       1.0              Ventoy      4E21-0000                                           
│ └─ventoy iso9660     Joliet Extension ARCH_202204 2022-04-05-16-02-52-00                              
└─sdb2     vfat        FAT16            VTOYEFI     DE2E-30BF                                           
sdc                                                                                                     
└─sdc1     vfat        FAT32            NO_LABEL    6A7B-6CCD

Last edited by ranixon (2022-04-15 01:45:03)

#12 2022-04-15 08:22:31

Raynman

ranixon wrote:

Thank you, now I have an other problem. Probably an other miss configuration. It boots, ask for my key and then i have this error:

Read the wiki more carefully:

dmname is the device-mapper name given to the device after decryption, which will be available as /dev/mapper/dmname

So you should only specify "root".

Edit: you also didn't follow the recommendation (directly above the line I quoted here) to use persistent block device names such as a UUID instead of /dev/sda4, but that's not (yet) a real problem.

Last edited by Raynman (2022-04-15 08:28:12)

#13 2022-04-18 02:46:39

ranixon

Raynman wrote:
ranixon wrote:

Read the wiki more carefully:

dmname is the device-mapper name given to the device after decryption, which will be available as /dev/mapper/dmname

So you should only specify "root".

Edit: you also didn't follow the recommendation (directly above the line I quoted here) to use persistent block device names such as a UUID instead of /dev/sda4, but that's not (yet) a real problem.

I chaged de cmdline to use UUID, now I have a new error (also tried using subvolid):

rootflags=subvolid=256 cryptdevice=UUID=036cc3d8-c0c7-477a-8eec-1a591e224bd3:root rw
ERROR: device '' not found. Skipping fsck.
:: mounting '' on real root
mount: /new_root: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on , missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
      dmesg(1) may have more information after failed system call.
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

should I post the full output or dmesg?
[rootfs]#

Last edited by ranixon (2022-04-18 02:52:28)

#14 2022-04-18 08:19:25

Raynman

Ah, I focused on the new error and didn't double-check the rest of your cmdline. You seem to have skipped the first (now bolded) part:

Raynman wrote:

You need to add the "root" parameter (currently empty, as seen in "device '' not found") and more for btrfs and the encrypt hook:

I believe dm-crypt/LUKS also provides a UUID, but the name should be stable, so you can go with root=/dev/mapper/root.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-cry … ation#root

Last edited by Raynman (2022-04-18 08:20:29)

#15 2022-04-18 15:13:41

ranixon

Raynman wrote:

Ah, I focused on the new error and didn't double-check the rest of your cmdline. You seem to have skipped the first (now bolded) part:

Raynman wrote:

You need to add the "root" parameter (currently empty, as seen in "device '' not found") and more for btrfs and the encrypt hook:

I believe dm-crypt/LUKS also provides a UUID, but the name should be stable, so you can go with root=/dev/mapper/root.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-cry … ation#root

Now working everything with the following cmdline:

root=/dev/mapper/root rootflags=subvolid=256 cryptdevice=UUID=036cc3d8-c0c7-477a-8eec-1a591e224bd3:root resume=/.swap/swapfile resume_offset=533760 rw

Where:

root=/path/to/root_partition, rootflags=root_subvolume, cryptdevice=UUID=UUID_of_encrypted_partition, resume=/path/to/swapfile.

For resume_offset see  the wiki.

The next is hibernation, but that is for another day.

Last edited by ranixon (2022-04-18 17:16:16)

Board footer