You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-15 02:47:17

omano

AUR package description in other language than English

I recently found multiple AUR packages with description in other language than English. I'm wondering is it allowed, or should these packages change their description to English?

#2 2022-04-16 01:47:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: AUR package description in other language than English

omano wrote:

I recently found multiple AUR packages with description in other language than English. I'm wondering is it allowed, or should these packages change their description to English?

What makes you think English is a requirement for AUR packages?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_su … guidelines
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_p … guidelines

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2022-04-16 06:11:25

omano

I didn't write that English is a requirement, I'm wondering if AUR packages can have their description in another language than English or not.

But if you really want my opinion I consider that yes, they should all be with English only, as it is well established now that this is the language people in international communities use on the internet since decades now to communicate. My opinion is that if all AUR packages are written in all submitters' native language, it will become simply useless/unusable if we need to google translate every package description/info.

Last edited by omano (2022-04-16 06:12:39)

#4 2022-04-16 07:39:31

seth

"Depends"

If a package is of relevance only for a specific locale (eg. to work around their local dictators tiny pen… great firewall) there's no real point in providing international descriptions.
The only reason I could see for such mandate would be easier vetting in - the not so likely - case that forementioned dictator or his trollfarm abuse the AUR to spill propaganda about their locales totally normal sized pen… state of affairs.

If the package however addresses everyone it should™ probably talk to everyone and the lingua franca of the open internet (see previous paragraph about some peoples local issues) is bad English - so not providing at least an English translation of the description is just lazy.
=> You could use the comment section to kindly ask them to add an English copy to be more diverse and inclusive accessible to the general audience.

---
Irony is when you use a Latin term to say that English is the new Frankish cool

#5 2022-04-17 03:31:03

omano

Alright. Thanks.

Board footer